Topic: Android

I was wondering if there is any plans to have an Android version of the software?

Re: Android

The official line is that Andriod does not currently support ad hoc wifi connections and so will not work with the drone.  This is not parrot's issue or anything they can directly influence.

That said if you search you tube using the words ar drone and android you will find a video of someone demonstating it working.

How do you install the software on the Android though?

Your gonna need the SDK and compile the Android version to run.

If you can hack your Android to handle Ad-hoc then all good. Else no point even starting to try. Go complain to Google Android Team for that issue.

Check out  http://www.ardrone-flyers.com  for more AR Drone info and helpful content.
AR Drone Wiki for more information - http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/

you don't need to hack a device with 2.2 for ad-hoc.  it's finally there.

just got to write the rest of the app for it

hem is someone able to drive me to find source code or sdk ?
or better, is someone so good to write the android app ?
thanks

SDK can be found here once you sign up.

https://projects.ardrone.org/

Check out  http://www.ardrone-flyers.com  for more AR Drone info and helpful content.
AR Drone Wiki for more information - http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/

Um...that's kind of crap.  Ad-Hoc has always been on my Droid since I bought it with 2.1.  Heck, I even rooted so I could use the Ad-Hoc feature to set the phone up as a wireless hot spot.

What happened is probably something like Apple saw the video (which I first saw on an ANDROID phone quite some time back), decided it was pretty cool, and offered some sort of bonus to develop for them.

It doesn't make a ton of business sense to limit only to the iPhone, however, because the Android handsets are currently selling like CRAZY (beating the tar out of the iPhone in new activations, actually).  I'm just saying, it should be on BOTH platforms, and since I KNOW someone's already done some development for Android (as per the video and original E3 announcement), why not release it?  It's free to develop for Android after-all.

NOT ONLY ANDROID.
How many *Windows Mobile phone's are on the earth?
Anyway,. When is this coming for Windows mobile 6.5 or Windows_Phone7 ?
Should be? Stupid Iphone. Apple is getting jammed by Android.
Android will beat the crap out of it.
People like the ipad, but what it with Android 2.1 because they like it more.
So in China they make an clone. (People love it)
Look at the logo from Android, it's look like Shrek! And Shrek is hungry, he wants a Apple!
And Bill Gates what's to play with this on Windows Mobile.
He is not going to buy any I-/phone-pad or pod.

This really needs to be addressed, I'm sure android can support this device with some work. If they want to sell me, and many other android users, one of these drones, there will have to be android support. I initially saw this demoed at google I/O conference, and i'm very disappointed parrot hasn't followed through with android support.

There's no need to hack the Android Phone, someone just needs to sell an app on the Android Market which connects correctly to the AR Parrot (similar to one of the apps made to access the Spykee or Rovio robots with Droids). Sometimes these app developers will also offer modified "unofficial" firmware (leaving the original available as a download, too, in case you want to restore) which can increase the functionality of a robot in surprising and creative ways. I'll keep checking the Android Market, and once a good app shows up, I'll buy the AR Parrot and download the app(s). I'm looking forward to it -- this is a fantastic new robot.

OS versions aside, there is a major difference between Apple and Google's methods.

Apple has 9 devices total.  They designed the hardware, they sell the hardware they write the operating system.  It's relatively easy to work in these small confines.

Google on the other hand only writes the basics of their operating system.  The specifics of the hardware is left at the discretion of the hardware manufacturer.  Same goes for individual tweaks and adjustments of the operating system.  These tweaks and adjustments can be further varied by individual carriers and even as far as target markets.

Development and testing for Android will take time to ensure the most widely compatible product possible.

I'm baaack.

I'm just resurrecting this thread to find out if there has been any progress in the Android department.  For those of you that haven't seen the original videos when this thing debuted at the Google I/O conference, it is here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid- … weeet.html

Aaaanyway, my phone has supported Ad-Hoc for some time.  I don't want to start a platform flame-war, but wouldn't you want your device to be available to as many people as possible.  I'm telling you, I'd buy one of these, but I'm not about to get an iPhone to do it; that's silly.

I'm sure there are coders out there capable of getting this thing up and running, and fragmentation is something that is steadily going away.  You could easily make this for Android 2.2 devices and above without much trouble, and still be hitting a HUGE market (though there are a lot of 2.1 devices out there.

Android phones are the fastest growing mobile OS on the market, bar-none, and it's already passed up other major players.  Windows Phone 7 is showing strong early signs of being successful as well, and development is supposedly pretty easy because of the tight hardware requirements made by Microsoft.

So, in short, any update you could give that isn't a dodge as to where we stand with other platforms, I would appreciate.

Thanks!  This is a sweet product!  All I want is to buy one that works with my phone of choice! :-)

there is no problem on adhoc since android 2.1
and here is your android app, i think with android 2.1+ it should work without rooting the phone
http://www.meavydev.co.uk/index.html

miefda wrote:

and here is your android app, i think with android 2.1+ it should work without rooting the phone

Wow, that's awesome--I'm assuming you developed this on your own and it isn't directly affiliated with the guys that make the AR Drone?

Thank you in any case!  I'm going to have to seriously consider buying one of these now...maybe it'll be my Christmas present to me.  Has anyone tried this app out?  Does it work well?

miefda wrote:

Has anyone tried with Android 2.1+ yet?  Does it still need to be rooted? 

Thanks

I tested the software with both a Dell Streak and a Droid X. With tweaking, I was able to get the Dell Streak to find the drone's ad-hoc network. However, I was unable to connect to it as it would be stuck on the "Obtaining IP Address" message and would ultimately fail. Now with the Droid X, I had no problems connecting to the device and piloting it. The only thing I wish the demo app had was taking pictures and recording video(Which the free flight app does so hopefully that will be the next project). So here is one Android user that has had a successful run at piloting the AR Drone

I recently got a droid 2
Android Version 2.2
System version 2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Kernel version  2.6.32.9-g462500f

I just downloaded the ArDrone Demo app.  I was able to enable wifi, go into settings and find the drone network, connect to it there, and start the app, and control the drone!!!  I did not have to root the phone, or anything like that.  I will be donating, I want to see video capture in this!! smile

Google's Android is now the second most popular mobile operating system in the world!!

Second only to Nokia's Symbian OS,
according to Gartner's third quarter report.
Apple's iOS comes in third..
(Nov 11 2010)

Android No. 2 Mobile OS: Apple Eats Its Dust

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210384/a … _dust.html

C'mon parrot! we want to buy AR.Drone's for our Android cell phones!
(Samsung Galaxy S please!)

ff

There are currently two Android Market apps that work just fine with the AR.Drone.  ARDroid and ARDrone Demo.  I believe ARDrone demo is based on the sample provided in the SDK... it looks a lot like the canned iphone app.

ARDroid has a little bit different skin but is basically the same.

Getting the native library (ARDroneLib) compiled appears to be the hardest part.  Once the static library is built development is fairly straightforward.

Anyway, works great on a Samsung Galaxy i9000 running 2.2.1 (With hacked wpa_supplicant).

I would buy one of these also if there was a full fledged android app. Come on guys what gives?

22 (edited by Fynx 01-03-2011 16:07:10)

I have bought a AR Parrot and i have a HTC Desire HD with Android version 2.2.1 and also downloaded the  two Android Market apps that are currently availible.
But when i try to connect to the drone i just cant find the connection of the drone.
When on a Iphone or Ipad it finds the drone immediatiley, but on my HTC Desire HD it just cant be found.
Does someone have a clear sollution for me on this?

Very exciting.  I'll charge up my drone tonight and try this with my EVO.  Question though, I didn't see an advanced mode (not using accelerometers to fly, but double sticks instead).  Is that an option?

I've an Acer Liquid with Android 2.1 and it's rooted, i've downloaded ARDroid from Android Market, but i can't connect to AR Drone. The problem, i suppose, is the ad-hoc connection. Can someone help me to connect my smatphone to my AR Drone? Thanks.

Any new progress here? It's really about time that the AR.Drone becomes available for Android (officially). I mean, c'mon, there are now according to IDC more Android phones used in the US than iPhones.

- Bachi