1 (edited by Conc 12-18-2010 23:10:05)

Topic: Drone will not hover

Hi there

I have just unpacked my drone and watched the videos, update the firmware etc etc.

When I tap the take "take off" button, the drone lifts about 20cm off of the ground and lurches to the left uncontrollably.

I have been looking through the forums and there is only one other post with a similar problem from zshe803 (note that I have followed that feedback - ie hard reset the drone etc with no joy ...). The eventual solution was to replace the drone.

I was hoping to get a definitive check list for drones that do not hover before I have to return the unit.

Re: Drone will not hover

It could be one of three things causing that issue, a bad motor, wrong rotor or the mainboard is faulty.

Sometimes these niggles get through to the public but don't let that stop you from enjoying your replacement Drone. They are awesome toys.

Check out  http://www.ardrone-flyers.com  for more AR Drone info and helpful content.
AR Drone Wiki for more information - http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/

Hallo.
I bought the ar drone via eBay store, dnagoods from new York .
I got the sealed package in the middle of the week and start reading the manuals and updated all the softwares and firmwares.
Today I realize the the drone have severs problems.
1. The main front camera isn't attached properly to the body of the drone and the polycarbonate around the camera looks like damaged.
2. The front right rotor isn't work properly and he stuck whenever I start to take off and the drone gets into emergency.
What can I do if I think the product isn't ok and I didn't enjoy at all of him.
I think is the best product of all but I want to get a chance to fly him with fan.
What do you suggest me to do?
Tal Goldberg

Just got a drone for christmas and have been flying it no problem earlier today.  Having recharged the battery I am now having the same problem as it is now taking off and flying uncontrollably to the left.

Paul

Funny, I have this problem as well! o_O well it's not funny, but I'm way happier to know that I'm not the only one with this problem...

Later,
Chinoman10.

I am having the same problem, it worked for about 2 min, now only lurches to the right, no hover. Kids are pretty disappointed, spend all day on forms etc , updates, recharged battery, nothing seems to work. If we can't get it working we will have to return it. I hope some one from parrot reads these.

Not sure when Parrot is open in your area, but please check out the following article before calling them.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/maintenan … arrot.html

Check out  http://www.ardrone-flyers.com  for more AR Drone info and helpful content.
AR Drone Wiki for more information - http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/

I gave my son the drone for christmas and we read all the instructions and followed all the directions. His first flight was a simple take off and turn around and landing. On his second take off the drone lifted off very fast then cut power to compensate and then took off like a bat out of hell straight up and crashed into the ceiling, that casues an emergency shut off. We have reset, un paired, reset many time and even tried it with my iphone, but everytime it does the same thing...the last one was so violent that it broken one of the foam rings around the blade. Any ideas?

i think something smell bad about this product.
i paid a lot of money and i realize that everyone having he same crashes...
i would like to know what can i do to solve the problem or else i would like to get back my money...

used the reset button this morning and it flew better but still not right.  This was after turning it on resetting and then off and back on again.  I then changed the settings for less sensitivity and also flat trim.  Since then it is working great again but will probably wait until snow clears and try outdoors were there is plenty more room

Today was the first day of flying.  After charging the battery and getting the iPad setup, I started the app.  I was able to successfully fly the Drone around the house without any problems.  The Drone hovered as expected.  I was able to turn to left and right.  Go up and down, etc.  Just like the videos...

I re-charged the battery and noticed the message stating there was a firmware update available.  I installed the firmware update (1.4.7) and restarted by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.  When first powering up the Drone/App, I got the battery emergency message.  I noticed the image from the camera was a little "off".  A portion of the video is now missing from the upper right of the iPad HUD (just a blank screen area).  I exited the Free Flight app and then restarted it.  I then chose "Takeoff" and the thing "took off"!  Flew up toward the ceiling and then banked left into the wall and then crashed to the floor.  I made sure that no parts had broken off and tried again.  I disconnected/reconnected the battery.  Rejoined the wifi network, started the app and pressed take off.  This time it took off and straight at me!  I put my hand out to protect my face and got a cut on my hand from one of the props...

Needless to say, I am disappointed about a $300 item now being useless after a firmware update.  Is there anyway to revert back to the previous version of firmware?

BAD FIRMWARE UPDATE

I have been reading about all the other failure to hover complaints.
I am also having the same issue.
When I started my Drone to show off to a friend it wanted a firmware update (hint).
Now as soon as it starts it veers sharply to the right and continues until I kill it. It also don't elevate more than a foot.
I checked all the settings and they are ok.
I tried with and with out the indoor shell.
I physically checked all the blades, motors, and supports and all are ok.
I tried it on my iphone as well as my ipad. Same issue.

The last time I used it, it was fine. I am almost positive the latest firmware update is the culprit.

13 (edited by kidovate 12-27-2010 05:46:54)

Hey guys!

Salvation is here. I was worried sick over this. I thought I had damaged the motors or something. D:. However then after the last guy's post, I googled downgrading the firmware.

I CAN GUARANTEE to you that this is the new update that is causing the problem. I recommend buying DroneControl for $3 on app store. It has many more features than the normal flight app, including recording, playing animations, flight logs (with nice graphs too!), a altitude meter, custom max altitude settings, a easier to user interface, and did I mention that it can downgrade/upgrade firmware to any version you choose?

You can easily downgrade to the last version. Here's how to do it (the way I just did it). This is indeed the solution to the problem. I downgraded, tested, worked fine, upgraded back to latest, and it had the same problem, downgraded again, and it worked!

1. Get DroneControl.
2. Connect to wifi internet connection (online)
3. Start dronecontrol, choose settings, Upload Firmware.
4. Choose downloader.
5. Pick whatever version you want. I chose 2 versions back to be safe, that one worked great when I was flying outdoors the other day.
6. It will download the firmware to your device so you can use it whenever you want (namely when connected to drone as you don't have a internet connection then).
7. Connect to the drone.
8. Go to dronecontrol again.
9. Go back to the firmware menu. Choose the version you downloaded. Tap install.
10. Go through with the standard firmware update process. Once it's done it will work great!

So happy I figured this out. I was miserable for a while. Broke the drone on 2nd day!!! I thought.

Check out my blog/website for more.

http://kidovate.com/

Christian Stewart
Kidovate Online

Sorry,
for me the downgrade was not a successful option.
Fro 1.4.7, I downgraded before to 1.4.6, but same problem.
Then I found a topic on developer's Redmine pages (https://projects.ardrone.org/boards/1/topics/show/1719) that suggested to delete some file from /data dir on drone. No result for me. And also, these files never appear to my drone again (never delete files! Always rename!).
At this point I downgraded to 1.3.3, but no way to let my drone hover again.
Now my problem is that quite always I have a immediate stop with "Cut Out Emergency" error. But no motor seems to be broken or fails to startup and go. Maybe files that I've deleted? I don't know!
There is some way to rebuild /data dir?
Thanks.

kidovate, thanks for the idea about firmware, I will give it a try and let you know, 300 is a little much and buying more stuff, even 3$, to do the QA departments job ahhhh...

One thing i notice on my control is motor 1, 2, 4 are 2.2 and 3 is 1.1 ? Id like to know if this makes a diff.

Does anyone from PARROT monitor this board ? It would seem like a good idea ?

kidovate wrote:

Hey guys!

Salvation is here. I was worried sick over this. I thought I had damaged the motors or something. D:. However then after the last guy's post, I googled downgrading the firmware.

I CAN GUARANTEE to you that this is the new update that is causing the problem. I recommend buying DroneControl for $3 on app store. It has many more features than the normal flight app, including recording, playing animations, flight logs (with nice graphs too!), a altitude meter, custom max altitude settings, a easier to user interface, and did I mention that it can downgrade/upgrade firmware to any version you choose?

You can easily downgrade to the last version. Here's how to do it (the way I just did it). This is indeed the solution to the problem. I downgraded, tested, worked fine, upgraded back to latest, and it had the same problem, downgraded again, and it worked!

1. Get DroneControl.
2. Connect to wifi internet connection (online)
3. Start dronecontrol, choose settings, Upload Firmware.
4. Choose downloader.
5. Pick whatever version you want. I chose 2 versions back to be safe, that one worked great when I was flying outdoors the other day.
6. It will download the firmware to your device so you can use it whenever you want (namely when connected to drone as you don't have a internet connection then).
7. Connect to the drone.
8. Go to dronecontrol again.
9. Go back to the firmware menu. Choose the version you downloaded. Tap install.
10. Go through with the standard firmware update process. Once it's done it will work great!

So happy I figured this out. I was miserable for a while. Broke the drone on 2nd day!!! I thought.

Check out my blog/website for more.

http://kidovate.com/

Christian Stewart
Kidovate Online

Thanks, I just wasted another $3.99 on this stupid drone! I tried three diffrent versions of firmware and the drone just does the same thing.

firmware downgrade did not work for me, i sent an email to support here is what they said

We will need you to do a physical inspection of the Drone.

First we need you to check the arms of the Drone. Each of the arms should be solid. Pay close attention to the arms as they exit the body of the Drone itself and at the ends where the motors are mounted.

Next, please look at the motor / propeller assemblies of the Drone. Start with the gears and shafts on each assembly. These should all be free of foreign debris. Gears (both the black plastic and brass) should have all of their teeth, and mesh correctly. The shafts for each propeller should not have any bends or deformities to them. Check the wiring on each of the motors to ensure it is firmly plugged in. Finally hand turn each of the 4 propellers. Each one should give similar resistance to the others.

The last portion you will need to look at is inside the Drone. Remove the upper hull and battery. From this point you can see into the body of the Drone. You will see 2 circuit boards in there. At the rear of the larger of the two boards you will see 2 cables. Gently press down on them to ensure both are seated correctly.

Again, those having trouble with level flight, make sure you place the Drone on a level flat surface so that the gyro sync's in a proper position.  Also, it is possible to get bleed over from you wireless router in your house.  Try to fly the drone as far away as you can from your wireless router in your house as generally the default IP for the Drone and the Router are the same.

Please read info in the posting http://forum.parrot.com/ardrone/en/view … hp?id=1601 , Firmware update 1.6.1 .  This might help you get a level hover.

My ARDrone had another problem.  I contacted support (person on phone very nice) and explained the issue of not flying and crashing into wall immediately after takeoff.  He had me place my ARDrone on a flat surface and then asked me to tell him if the belly of the ARDrone was sagging or resting on the ground.  I told him that it was.  I had noticed this, but not sure what caused it.  It turns out the crossmember in the center of the ARDrone was broken and caused the ARDrone to sit on its belly.  This causes the sensors to get a bad reading at takeoff not to mention the instability of the motor arms not maintaining level flight (I observed on its last flight how two of the arms pivoted slightly up during takeoff causing the crash). 

Needless to say, this was cause for repair.  I sent my ARDrone to the repair facility (Holland, MI) and hope to have it back soon.

So, check your ARDrones for this issue.  If it is sitting on its belly rather than being supported by the arms, then you may have a broken crossmember also.

I will repost a message once I get my ARDrone back and am able to take it for a test flight.

Just received my ARDrone back this morning from FedEx.  It took 2 weeks to get it back.

Took the ARDrone out of the box and set it on my kitchen counter.  Verified the crossmember had been fixed as the body of the ARDrone is no longer resting on its belly.

Charged the battery, connected it and then fired up the iPad app after syncing with it.  First thing I noticed is that the firmware was at 1.3.3 again and I was being prompted to upgrade the firmware.  I pressed CANCEL and I did not upgrade the firmware!  I checked the settings and then performed a takeoff.  The ARDrone lifted off and held a hover about 2-3 feet from the floor. I was able to turn, fly side to side, go up and down without error.  Flew the ARDrone one time around the house and then landed and shutdown.

So, I am happy that I have it back and look forward to flying it again.  As long I don't encounter any other issues, I will not be upgrading the firmware on it unless I see some future upgrade from ARDrone development that replaces the suspect 1.4.7 firmware.

Other versions of software/hardware noted from the app include:

iPad app version  1.6.1

AR.Drone      Hardware  11.0    software 1.3.3
Inertial         Hardware  6.0      software 4.55
Motor 1 type:  1.1    Hardware  3.0      software 1.11
Motor 2 type:  1.1    Hardware  3.0      software 1.11
Motor 3 type:  1.1    Hardware  3.0      software 1.11
Motor 4 type:  1.1    Hardware  3.0      software 1.11

Good luck with your issues.