Topic: Take off problems with flipping

Ok, I finally got my pre-ordered AR.drone, got it charged up, took it outside and flew it and had a blast.

Charged the battery up again for another flight, but now whenever I try to take off it will immediately flip over to the right front no matter what I try in terms of resetting the trim etc.

I've tried it indoors and outdoors with both types of shells, and tried the various combinations of settings for indoor and outdoor flight and shell type.

Very occasionally it would lift off about 3 inches off the ground and just spin madly at about 180 degrees per second until i tell it to land.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Re: Take off problems with flipping

Make sure you haven't lost any of the circlips on the rotor blades .

Have you tried resetting the Drone if that still doesn't do anything normal, then I would then suggest looking up the guide to upload the firmware from your PC or Mac and then try a flight again.

Other than that I can not understand why it would be doing this.

Check out  http://www.ardrone-flyers.com  for more AR Drone info and helpful content.
AR Drone Wiki for more information - http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/

Updated the firmware, does the same thing
Tried using my iPhone instead of my iPad, does the same thing
Tried switching to manual trim, clicking OK, then switching back to auto trim, clicking ok, then flat trim, does the same thing

To me (I'm a RC flyer, cars and tanks) it looks like either one of the ultrasound transducers is giving a bad signal, or the accelerometers are out of whack.

I think my next step is to call Parrot at lunch and take the drone to work to see if they can walk me through any troubleshooting steps.

hi  a have the exact same problem , dose anybody have any solution for this pleeeeaseeeeeee !!!!! thank you.

Have someone hold the drone by the bottom of the body. Engage the motors and hold your hand under the spinning blades. There should be an equal amount of air coming from each rotor. If not, then the rotor could be bent, the motor out of alignment or the shaft bent. All of these are fixable, just hard to find parts yet.

Proud owner (well so far) of a AR.Drone since 9/10/10

mickeycars wrote:

hi  a have the exact same problem , dose anybody have any solution for this pleeeeaseeeeeee !!!!! thank you.

I called tech support, they had me check a few things, and now I've got an RMA and have to ship it back to a repair center sad

Not too happy now with the AR.Drone, we'll have to see what happens after they 'fix' it.

David wrote:

Have someone hold the drone by the bottom of the body. Engage the motors and hold your hand under the spinning blades. There should be an equal amount of air coming from each rotor. If not, then the rotor could be bent, the motor out of alignment or the shaft bent. All of these are fixable, just hard to find parts yet.

The only problem is that result can be caused by quite a few things, besides what you mentioned:

1. Loose motor connector
2. Loose main board connector
3. Loose nav board connector
4. Problem with the accelerometer
5. Stripped/poorly meshing gear
6. Gear on the motor is loose

All of these problems would cause a motor to spin slower and not provide the same amount of thrust, and have the same behavior of flipping over when it tries to take off.

Ncbobusa wrote:
David wrote:

The only problem is that result can be caused by quite a few things, besides what you mentioned:

1. Loose motor connector
2. Loose main board connector
3. Loose nav board connector
4. Problem with the accelerometer
5. Stripped/poorly meshing gear
6. Gear on the motor is loose

All of these problems would cause a motor to spin slower and not provide the same amount of thrust, and have the same behavior of flipping over when it tries to take off.

Last Sunday my drone was "doing the flip". Unlike a lot of other owners, I have spare parts. First I changed the prop and gear - to no avail. Then I replaced the motor. That was it. Now maybe it was the connection, I'm not sure. All I know is that the drone works perfectly again.

Proud owner (well so far) of a AR.Drone since 9/10/10

Hello all,

I just got an AR Drone and it ran flawlessly for the first 10 minutes or so. Landed, charged the battery, started it back up and FLIP! The left rear motor now makes noise and shakes providing very little lift. I have started the ARD and then held it in place with my hand and the motor even stopped a couple times. one time it failed to even spin when I tapped the take off button.

After reading this thread I checked all of the connections I could see. Everything is snug.

This think hadn't crashed until the first time it flipped so I'm not sure how this got damaged.

Very frustrating because I was so looking forward to flying this. Now I have to either wait for parts or RMA? Sad.

Hi all
I have had the exact same problem. Perfect first flight 12 minutes in air. No crash. Landed to recharge, started it back up and flip! 2 days old Drone. That is one piece of s... Sorry. But 300$ toy that works for 12 minutes?? I'm disappointed. I have tried everything. Reset, reinstall, update and flat trim. Nothing works.

Ok, I've sent my first drone off to be repaired.

I just got my second one yesterday, and have flown it 5 or 6 times without any single problem.  No flipping or anything.

I've actually landed this one much harder than the other one, but it just keeps on going.

It's quite a bit of fun when it works, I'm hoping this issue with it flipping is just a batch of bad parts and I'll get the other one back and won't have any problems with it.

I turned off the altitude limit and flew it pretty high and was checking out the neighborhood houses through the camera, which was really cool.

One thing I did notice, people had talked about their drones 'flying away' when they got high up, and I was being very watchful to make sure this didn't happen with mine.  At one point when it was about 15 meters up I accidentally hit the land button, the lights all turned green and it started to oscillate up and down then started to climb while displaying 'Ultrasound error'.  I frantically hit the down button and was able to get it back down where the ultrasound was picking up the ground and it immediately landed.  I'm wondering if there's a bug if the ultrasound is out of range and you try to land it ends up in a funky state and climbs away.  I'm going to be very careful not to hit the land button.  I could've hit the emergency button, but from that high up I imagine it would've been damaged when it hit, although as a last resort I was ready to press it.

I'll have to see about doing some videos too.  I actually handed my iPad to my neighbor who's never flown anything RC and he was able to pick it up VERY fast, especially when I told him just to let go and it would go into a hover. 

Parrot has done a nice job on the controls, and made it easy for novices, while still giving experts the control they want.

Now if my other one can get fixed I can start having dogfights smile

Just got my AR Drone back on Friday from Parrot repair shop.  Cost me about $15 to ship it to them.  I had a great flight Friday afternoon.  On Saturday I went to go fly and now it's flipping constantly.  I've tried the same thing as people have mentioned in this thread and I have had no luck.  All the rotors are fine.  I did try holding it to feel if there was a difference of air force between the rotors, but it keeps rocking back and forth erratically.  There doesn't seem to be an issue with the rotors (no missing, bent or broken parts).  Connections seem all in tact.  I really don't want to have to keep spending $15 to send it in for repairs and waiting 2.5 weeks for it to be returned to me.  It is a lot of fun, but seems to have a lot of bugs in the firmware.  I'm calling Parrot again Monday to see what they advise.

My relatively new AR.Drone started flipping.  I traced the problem to one propeller not turning, then had a look and it seemed the motor had come loose somehow.  After disassembly (nice video, thanks Parrot) it was clear the end housing of the motor had come out of the stator body.  This pushed the motor and drive gear down away from the prop and also made it loose (even though the retaining screws were tight).  At this stage I have just pushed it back together again but I suspect it won't be long before I buy a new motor and gear.