Topic: What happens to your drone when out of range?

I flew my drone the other day outdoors and thought I would see what happens when I fly it straight away from me and see how far it would go.

Mine went about 30 meters and then the drone sudden stopping going forward (it was like hitting the brakes).

I couldn't fly any further forward, however I could turn around and fly back.

I thought the limit was about 50 mtrs.  I didn't have any other wifi access points near me at the time...

Let me know your experience and how did it stop when it got to its range?  Or did it stop?

Thanks

Re: What happens to your drone when out of range?

My drone took off, straight up out of control and drifted with the wind, range looked like about 100 mtrs high and then descended safely I was pleased to discover. Found it in the back of a utility vehicle a block away. it had 23% battery power left.

My Drone continued its flightpath while climbing ever higher, found it on top of someone's roof exactly 1/4 mile away (straight line measurement from Google Maps)

TheTodd wrote:

My Drone continued its flightpath while climbing ever higher, found it on top of someone's roof exactly 1/4 mile away (straight line measurement from Google Maps)

Have you emailed parrot as they will replace it as faulty.

Yes I did, they are shipping me a new one now.

I do love my AR Drone, I will NOT take it outside again, I can not have my children chase it through fields and padocks to get it back each time it sours to amazing heights out of control. It continues out of control even when I shut the WI-FI  connection down from my i-phone. My young son reordered its last flight to an amazing height and will post to his you tube account shortly. It was a mere speck in the sky before it safely descended just short of a pond in a golf course. I trust a replacement unit will give me more joy.

I had the same fly away problem.  My original drone had this problem indoors luckily.  It went straight up and hit the 2 story ceiling.  So I returned it and got a replacement.  Thinking the first drone was an isolated issue, I took the replacement outside.  Within 3 mintues, the drone shot straight up until it was a little dot and cleared an 8 story building.  It eventually landed on top of another building a block away.  I have not been able to retrieve it since I live 120 miles away.  I suspect it has something to do with the ultrasound altimeter locking up or getting confused.  The time that my original drone went up to the ceiling, I noticed the screen displaying something like "Altimeter error".

Yikes!  Hopefully today's firmware upgrade will shutdown if it loses wifi.  That way you can simply kill the iPhone app as an emergency stop if things go wrong.

Ozwinds wrote:

I do love my AR Drone, I will NOT take it outside again, I can not have my children chase it through fields and padocks to get it back each time it sours to amazing heights out of control. It continues out of control even when I shut the WI-FI  connection down from my i-phone. My young son reordered its last flight to an amazing height and will post to his you tube account shortly. It was a mere speck in the sky before it safely descended just short of a pond in a golf course. I trust a replacement unit will give me more joy.

Did you get a replacement ? I had a drone fly away on Sunday and lost it out of sight heading about km north of where I was standing, haven found it....I have written to the distributor still waiting to hear...