Topic: iOS5 and WiFi

Since I upgraded to iOS5 I can't establish a WiFi connection between my iPhone and the AR.Drone.
Anyone else having the same problem?
Any suggestions?
Thank you

2 (edited by te1966 10-24-2011 19:58:07)

Re: iOS5 and WiFi

mine the same, did not have the tick next to ardrone in wifi on my phone just a spinning wheel, still flew it and after about 5 minutes it fell from about 3 metres snapped the cross beam and damaged the mother board i assume as neither colour led shows up underneath now and ardrone does not show up on phone, nor iPad which as not been updated to ios5, can anybody advise, please thank you .terry .

Same here. No WiFi connection with iPod or iPad since upgrading to iOS5. Hopefully there is a fix for this!

Apparently there is no fix needed, I tried again tonight and although the wifi symbol does not show on the iPhone, it actually makes the connection with the drone and it works perfectly. Why it does that I have no idea but if you try you may find it works.
Some feedback would be great.

5 (edited by SJD666 10-26-2011 17:34:16)

esnupe wrote:

Apparently there is no fix needed, I tried again tonight and although the wifi symbol does not show on the iPhone, it actually makes the connection with the drone and it works perfectly. Why it does that I have no idea but if you try you may find it works.
Some feedback would be great.

Same here no WiFi symbol just 3G showing but still connects and flies (iphone 4s)

Thanks esnupe for the info :-)

HI,

Although the circle is still spinning as long as you have an IP address assigned the connection is successful and you should be able to open the free flight app and connect to your AR Drone.
To check if you have an IP address assigned tap on the blue arrow next to the AR Drone in the Apple device's Wi-Fi menu (It can take a minute or so for an IP address to be assigned).

My AR Drone works at home, but not at work....Why would this happen? The AR Drone dosnt show up at all when im at work.

Hi jpappilli,

The most likely answer is interferrence from other Wi-Fi networks at Work. Move to a slightly different area at work away from other Wi-Fi networks.

I also had a connection problem after upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS 5. The wifi only shows spinning icon and no tick but I still managed to fly and control my drone but only after 2-3 minutes while hovering the "Control Link not available" message appears and I cannot control my drone. It's only 2 meters near me so it's impossible that it got disconnected because of long distance. The worst thing is, I really can't reconnect so I was forced to hold my drone while hovering for 6 minutes!
Another issue with the iOS 5 is the battery display is not accurate, it's still showing 30-35% then in 1 sec it dropped to 0% low battery which caused my drone to drop 1 meter from the ground.

Please do something about it and release an updated and iOS 5 compatible free flight app.

Thanks

I note ALL of the same issues; can we get a software fix for these?

I have the same problem: wifi seem to connect regularly but when you start the app it does't connect to the drone

12 (edited by lekokid 11-14-2011 16:51:11)

I am also having problems connecting.... i have lost control with my drone and suferd a big crash..   (still putting it back to gether)
Please HELP US>>>>>
iOS 5.0.1 DID NOT HELP

Parrot Advisor UK wrote:

HI,

Although the circle is still spinning as long as you have an IP address assigned the connection is successful and you should be able to open the free flight app and connect to your AR Drone.
To check if you have an IP address assigned tap on the blue arrow next to the AR Drone in the Apple device's Wi-Fi menu (It can take a minute or so for an IP address to be assigned).

Hi Guys
There are no issues observed with iOS5, please see the quoted post above in this topic.

Hi Parrot Advisor UK

same problem with connecting AR Drone to iPhone 4 using IOS5.
When trying to connect after 1 minute I am getting an IP Address: 169.254.35.235 / 255.255.0.0
But when I start the free flight app, it says that wifi is not able, I should connect the my iPhone to the drone.

What are the next tips from you?
Thanks

Hi Luxux 21,

The IP address of the AR Drone should start with 192.
169.  means a bad IP address has been assigned to the Drone, this isn't specfically an iOS5 issue.
First on the iPhone in the Wi-Fi menu tap 'Forget this device' then switch the Wi-Fi off.
Then on the Drone push the 'unpair' and the 'reset' button on the underneath in any order.
Once you have done this turn the Wi-Fi back on then search and connect again, you should see an IP address starting 192.

Parrot Advisor UK 2.
technical.uk@parrot.com

08444 722360

Hi Parrot Adviros UK

thanks for you help. With your manual I fixed the problem. Thanks

Well, I'm having great difficulty right before the big holiday. Same as mentioned above. iPhone4 w/ iOS5. Tried the advisor recomended process and nothing. 169 address. A lot of money spent for a fun gift and turns out to be a big disappointment.

Parrot Advisor UK 2, will there be an update to fix this iOS 5 wifi fault?

Yes it's does connect to the drone, but it also looses connection mid flight while only 2 metres away, unless it gets fixed, especially during Christmas I would recommend they get pulled off the shelves, this has been a known problem for some time now.... Otherwise I would expect a lot of upset customers bringing hem back because thy can't be used.

19 (edited by tevat 12-12-2011 23:35:03)

I wondered if I should turn off my home wi-fi, being that the drone is a wi-fi.

I did, it worked. iPhone made the wifi connection quickly and established the 192. address.

Based on the above post, I'm wondering if this is one of many issues.

2 meters away? That's not good!

Is this one of many issues?

Hi Strykr,

It is with regret that I hear you are experiencing connection issues with your AR Drone. To confirm again there are no issues with iOS5.
Although you do not get the tick the connection is still made as long as you have a 192 IP address.
I would reconmend to contact the technical support for your country directly to discuss your observations further, they will glad assist you with finding a resolve for the problem you are experiencing.

Parrot Advisor UK 2.
technical.uk@parrot.com

08444 722360

21 (edited by Rucas 12-26-2011 19:52:01)

Parrot Advisor UK wrote:
Parrot Advisor UK wrote:

HI,

Hi Guys
There are no issues observed with iOS5, please see the quoted post above in this topic.

Hi, I bought an ar drone 2 days ago. iPad iOS 5.01. I'm losing connection at 2 meters distance, in a zone without any wifi router. I fly 10 times, and lose connection about 10 times also. I close the app and when I open it, then the ar drone lands...
Alway get the message'control link not available' during the flight.
I test it with my iPad and iPhone getting the same result. On iPhone on aeroplane mode.
Ignoring this serious problem the drone fly ok.

Should I return it to the shop?

22 (edited by malcthom 12-29-2011 10:04:12)

I am experiencing same problem... have only ever used iOS5 on iPhone 4S with Drone. Takes up to 20mins to finally make a valid connection in settings despite turning all other wifi devices and even the microwave off! Then I have variable success connecting the AR FreeFlight app to drone. When it does finally connect I too am having frequent issues with "control link not available". Of concern also is that the drone appears to hold onto the last user input rather than opting to auto stabilisation mode as it is supposed to do. Hence crashes a risk.
I have tried with a iPad2 and a iPod. The outcome is the same. I have read and carried out all that has been written on this issue in the forum, FAQ & in the online manual.

It is clear from the sheer volume of reports that something is amiss with the connection interface be it firmware or software. Please address this issue or it will be inevitable that many many drones will be returned seeking a full refund.

I love this thing when it runs correctly (~5% of the time) but am increasingly frustrated by it!

i mentioned the the ios5 connection problem previously, and told no problem even though it fell out of the sky and broke the crossmember and mother board, after fixing this i have only been using it with my wifes ipad which we left at ios4 as we never had a problem flying with that. only this weekend my son (the drone was his 12 birthday present in september) and i went out with the drone, nice day no wind, but had to use his 4th gen ipod (with spinning icon, but remember

te1966 wrote:

i mentioned the the ios5 connection problem previously, and told no problem even though it fell out of the sky and broke the crossmember and mother board, after fixing this i have only been using it with my wifes ipad which we left at ios4 as we never had a problem flying with that. only this weekend my son (the drone was his 12 birthday present in september) and i went out with the drone, nice day no wind, but had to use his 4th gen ipod (with spinning icon, but remember

sorry half my post missing(but remember"thi is not a problem)after 10 minutes of flying the drone took on a mind of its own and soared higher and higher nver to be seen again, let me add hitting the land and emergency land buttons to no avail. i would like to say how my son and myself are feeling but no one deserves to hear such language. i will not be spending my hard earned money on any more parrot products

There IS  a problem with iOS5. Repeatedly stating there is no issue will not change the truth. I am having the exact same issues: sudden loss of wifi connection even though well within range; sudden out of control slamming into the trees; same battery-instantly-dead-drone-drop.  After this last flight, my battery has a nice bulge as if it got too hot..