Topic: Bottom camera

I am having a few issues with horizontal stability so I checked the bottom camera. When I switch to the bottom camera, the image is extremely blurry. It is hard to tell if the drone is even moving. I realize that the bottom camera is low resolution but all that I can see are blurry shadows. I cleaned the tiny lens but nothing changed.

Could I have a faulty bottom camera?

Re: Bottom camera

take a screenshot of the bottom camera and post it so we can see.

Its possible to be a faulty camera, with a picture maybe someone can tell.

Hbb52 wrote:

I am having a few issues with horizontal stability so I checked the bottom camera. When I switch to the bottom camera, the image is extremely blurry. It is hard to tell if the drone is even moving. I realize that the bottom camera is low resolution but all that I can see are blurry shadows. I cleaned the tiny lens but nothing changed.

Could I have a faulty bottom camera?

I found the bottom camera to be really disappointing as well, to the extent that I could barely make out what it showed.  At first, I thought maybe there was plastic on the bottom but I found none attached out of the box.

How would it compare to the V.1?

Hi,

Indeed, a screenshot might be useful to determine the quality of image you are witnessing. Depending on it, it might be a defect. Other than that, the bottom camera is first used by the AR.Drone 2.0 as a sensor and its quality is, of course, not to be compared to the HD one.

I am seeing the same issue. I tried using it at night and it could not track so I could not take my hands off the controls or would you start to run away.

I'm seeing this as well.

On the AR.Drone 1 the bottom camera was low quality but you could at least make things out. On my AR.Drone 2.0 its extreemly worse quality than what was on the first drone, its pretty much just a bunch of dots and blobs.

I'll grab a screenshot when my batteries charge up and I can fly.

It will look better when there is more light.  Even when you think the area is well lit, the camera will not pick up quality unless there is adequate light.

To boldly go where no one has gone before.

The bottom facing camera in v.2 is significantly worse than the camera in v.1.

I'm not sure why they decided to go in reverse.

I do not have a 1.0 to compare with. However, here is a comparison of the bottom vs front camera in the 2.0 drone:

http://youtu.be/rwq6aO6hfHg

djacobs wrote:

I do not have a 1.0 to compare with. However, here is a comparison of the bottom vs front camera in the 2.0 drone:

http://youtu.be/rwq6aO6hfHg

Damn... you got a crapload of cats there buddy... and it looks like you got one of the better bottom mount cameras... i saw another Youtube video that was horrible compared to yours!!

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

Is the lens on the camera fixed or can the focal length be adjusted?

Hutch

Fixed... both cameras

14 (edited by djacobs 05-07-2012 02:17:50)

Well, I suppose it's good to know that that's a 'decent' quality for the bottom. I wasn't expecting great things from that one since it's primarily a speed sensor. I wish the front one was a little clearer when the device is flying, but it's not bad.

Hutch wrote:

Is the lens on the camera fixed or can the focal length be adjusted?

Hutch

Hutch is on to it there. the lens is not focused. i take it you have cleaned the lens? would a firmware update knock the focus out slightly?
mine is not that bad, i noticed i had a green screen on the front camera but this was only due to me not putting the camera cable in correctly after a repair  roll

www.droneshop.co.uk
Official Parrot AR. Drone Reseller for all genuine spares and upgrades.

www.ardroneownersclub.co.uk

I noticed the bottom if the drone has a small plastic lenses. I wonder if that could be contributing to some of the blur.

I have noticed the same issue with mine.. the bottom camera is super blurry.. it won't fly at night either.. gives me a vision alert.. is it defective or normal?

Piloting: Parrot AR.Drone2.0 / HardWare = v2.2 / SoftWare = v2.4.8
Inertial: HardWare = v2.3 / SoftWare = v5.34
Motors: Type = v1.1 / HardWare = v6.0 / SoftWare = v1.43
Using: Google 32gb. Nexus 7 Tablet / O.S. = Android v4.4.2 KitKat / Program: AR.FreeFlight v2.4.10 / Location: USA

PenguinDrone wrote:

I have noticed the same issue with mine.. the bottom camera is super blurry.. it won't fly at night either.. gives me a vision alert.. is it defective or normal?

It isn't going to work well in the dark.

It's only 320 x 240, so it isn't going to give a good picture.

AR Drone 2.0  2.2.6 Firmware
iPhone 4  - 5.1 OS
Drone Ace app using 60Beat controller
Amped SR1000 wifi repeater

19 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 06-20-2012 04:27:04)

Totally agree with the dark situation ... vision alert in the dark is normal... but the 320x240 camera should be a lot clearer... try watching a youtube video and select 320x240 to view... THAT'S how the bottom camera SHOULD look... grainy... old lookin... but still in focus and able to see things 5meters away with some definition... jeeezzzzzz this bottom camera is bad... i got a front facing camera on my android that's VGA and it kicks this vertical cams butt... and it's smaller and lighter

Looks like anything I am finding is not 'new' (and I'm not suprised).
But my bottom camera is rubbish, so much so that I landed the drone and double checked to see if there was anything on the lens.
Our dog (only a small one) spends most of his time underneath the drone barking at it, and he just turns into a white blob. There is no definition to him. sad
Be interested to hear if this turns out to be software or hardware.
As mentioned up there ^^ it does appear to be a focussing problem.

I have a scuff on the lens of the front camera. Any tips on how to buff it out?

Hi -

I have the same problem with the bottom camera and I think the problem is a software issue.  The camera is very pixelated and it looks like it is zoomed in (Digital zoom, not optical zoom).  The image isn't blurry - it just has giant pixels!

I don't know if there's a fix for this but hopefully AR Drone support will be able to confirm this and if its true,  issue a software or firmware update to fix the problem.

markprince, there's nothing a software update could fix because of low bottom camera resolution.
Front camera has 1280x720 resolution, bottom camera — just 320x240. So when you switch to it pixels have to be stretched to fill the screen. What happens is very similar to digital zoom, exactly as you described.
Live preview is streamed at 640x360 resolution on most current devices, so there's additional scaling step that degrades quality.
And when you're recording video resolution can't be changed on the fly therefore video stream remains 1280x720 and black bars are added on the sides ('pillarboxing').

I think it's better not to think of the bottom camera as a camera but rather as a sensor for stabilisation. For example, you don't usually think of the "eye" on the bottom of an optical mouse as a camera, yet that's exactly what it is, albeit monochrome and with very low resolution.

24 (edited by 3d-features 05-10-2013 23:45:46)

Here is a thought,,, I can't imagine these cameras being made special for the drones,, instead i'd be thinking it is an off the shelf
camera like those used in cell phones.. In fact i found a 1.3 MP ribbon camera that looks like it has the same board connector.
It has a different ribbon but this raises my hope for finding something to try which would give better image quality,, but
more importantly better flying precision since a clearer image would be used..
I'm just thinking out loud and have no idea what is all involved... Maybe someone can offer some insight so i can experiment. Thanks   3d2c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-LG-G2X-P990 … 1c2b4b363a

The Bottom camera is crap. I know its a 320x.. so its lightwieght.
bUT whats the point of having a switch from front to bottom camera just to see blur In bright daylight on the bottom camera.

I keep hopeing that parrot will come out with a upgrade becase i am getting tired of this problem esp as it affect stabilty
Of course i can buy another body for $50 (i Did once already) and the bottom replacement camera is even worse.
Why do i have to pay $50 doallars for crappy camera. Parrot Should get off its rear end and fix it.

So the main question is, i now have a extra front camera. CAN IT BE USED AS A BOTTOM CAMERA?
I need something better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dallas

Parrot Should get off its rear end and sell a WORKABLE replacement without the body.