Topic: First Ar Drone 2.0 Mod

Well I finally did my first ever mod to my second gen drone. I tilted the HD front camera approx 5 degrees.
Wow what a difference! Now instead of always capturing the horizon, it now captures more of the streets and houses. Being a newbie don't know how to post pictures in the forum, If someone can instruct me I would like to share my videos of photos. smile

Re: First Ar Drone 2.0 Mod

That sounds perfect i would like to do that to mine with out breaking it could i see some pics  ?

Hi Pazetronics,

the best way for your to share on this forum is to host your pics or movies on an external server and then to add URL in your posts.

And congratulations on your first mod!

I'd love to know how you did it.  I was eying my front camera today thinking about solutions for a bit more tilt...

in the free flight app upload the video to youtube and then post the link to your youtube video.

also I would like to know what you did to tilt the camera, possibly post some pictures of the drone and what you did to the camera.

Okay here is a snap shot of a before and after mod. I hope I did it correctly. Let me know if you are interested. smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19151676@N … cc552610f8

Here is the finished product of the mod.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19151676@N … cc552610f8

Looks great. I have been looking at the best way to do that exact mod.
How did you fasten the square camera back on?
I assume just glue.
Great job and nice tip on the hull mods needed.

Okay I was able to post my video on youtube. Hope you guys like it , and hope parrot likes it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtmDwGV … e=youtu.be

This should have been first. This video shows the outdoor hull on the left side of the screen prior to shaving it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fZSQddkIlMw

11 (edited by U.S.S. Enterprise 04-27-2012 17:12:01)

Looks good, I might have to look at doing that for mine when it comes back after being repaired.  The drone was completely unresponsive when any battery was put in.

To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Awesome to see somebody already hacking it up... I'm definitely doing this and going for a little bit more angle

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Awesome to see somebody already hacking it up... I'm definitely doing this and going for a little bit more angle

Are you flying version 1.0 or 2.0. I wrapped tape around the top of the lens and pulled it down with that as I'm trying to see what it would look like. I really the look so I'll be cutting it out like you did. I noticed the indoor and outdoor ring don't see to be a problem but maybe I'm not pulling it down enough with the tape.
Nice mod

I'm flying the 2.0... I dont know why Pazetronics was showing hull in the left side of the video ... Maybe was not aligned properly straight from the factory... I'll post the results of mine here when I get it done... But like  said i'm going for more angle than he did... I want the horizon line at the top of the screen

Yes, you can go more with the angle but it wanted to do it in small increments. I figure less is more and if you cut too much it would be bad to add back. The video you saw was before I shaved the outdoor hull.
Thanks for your comments.
This video is with hull shaved

pazetronics wrote:

Okay I was able to post my video on youtube. Hope you guys like it , and hope parrot likes it too.

Great mod but dont you think the video quality should be better for so called 720P HD?

You are right, so I updated it with the raw footage. Sorry I'm a newbie.

That looks better.  much better than the drone 1.0 and about keychain 720P quality maybe a little better.

I angled the camera on my drone 2.0 today.

I just made a slight angle, will try it out tomorrow and decide if it needs to be angled any more.

MikesTooLz wrote:

I angled the camera on my drone 2.0 today.

I just made a slight angle, will try it out tomorrow and decide if it needs to be angled any more.

Great! I cut mine just a little too aprox. 1/8" and it works for me.

I got up early this morning to fly, but its raining....

sad

This is an important mod for video quality. It helps to keep exposure correct for anything below the horizon.  It's too bad Parrot didn't design the camera this way. I suppose some day in a future version, they'll allow precision camera movement via the remote device.

I'd love to do this mod but I need a little bit more info before I screw things up.
I'm not sure I understand how to get to the foam to cut it back.
Did you take the camera out of the styrofoam? If so how do you do it? 
There is a little plastic button on top of the lens.  Does that allow the lens to come off so the foam can be cut back?

MikesTooLz wrote:

I got up early this morning to fly, but its raining....

sad

Just watched a couple of your videos on YouTube mike... You're in south Florida somewhere... I'm in Fort Pierce... That means the rain is headed up this way... It was so calm and still this morning the flying was awesome... Problem is i'm on Android so I can't get video of anything yet

lilewis wrote:

This is an important mod for video quality. It helps to keep exposure correct for anything below the horizon.  It's too bad Parrot didn't design the camera this way. I suppose some day in a future version, they'll allow precision camera movement via the remote device.

I'd love to do this mod but I need a little bit more info before I screw things up.
I'm not sure I understand how to get to the foam to cut it back.
Did you take the camera out of the styrofoam? If so how do you do it? 
There is a little plastic button on top of the lens.  Does that allow the lens to come off so the foam can be cut back?

on the top of the camera you will see a small ribbon that goes from the camera, under the plastic on the top . Do not cut or damage that ribbon of cables your camera will not work. The plastic strips on the sides and bottom of the foam neck have nothing under them and are just there for added protection to the foam in case of crash's.

What I did was use a razer blade and started at the bottom, slide the razerblade in-between the foam and plastic square the camera is mounted on. Once I separated the camera from the foam (be careful with the cable ribbon at the very top) I just fold the camera up and shaved off some of the foam/plastic to make a downward angle. I then just folded the camera back down in place an stuck it with some double sided sticky foam that I had from something else.

Make sure you glue or stick the camera in place well, The better you glue it in place, the less vibrations it will have that cause that waving effect in the recorded video.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand now.   What I thought was a button is actually the ribbon. 
Your video is interesting in another respect...  It's rare to see smooth footage from the ar.drone. 
I know slow motion helps to smooth it out but did you also use an anti-shake plugin when rendering?   
In any case, your piloting is still quite good to allow any software to make it that smooth.