1 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 05-08-2012 08:33:01)

Topic: this is THE battery for 2.0

just got this battery today in the mail... it will charge with the old drone 1.0 charger no problem... takes awhile though...
fits perfect in the battery compartment from end to end... side to side is a little small so i shimmed it on either side with a slice of corrugated cardboard to keep it snug... and its a little tall so you need to pull the usb plug out of the elastic and tuck it in on the side of the battery....then the hull goes right back on perfect.. we don't have as much room under our hull as the 1.0 so this is great...
doesn't seem too much heavier then the original battery... flies solid and stable as long as it's in there firmly and not sliding around...

I JUST GOT 23 MINUTES AND 16 SECONDS FLIGHT TIME OFF THIS BAD-BOY!!! outdoor hull outside with a very very light wind and a lot of flying... not too much hovering...

battery was good and warm at the end but not nearly as hot as the VGE 1300mAh batteries i've been using lately... motors were warm to the touch when finished but definitely not hot at all... very impressed with this for the price

link to ebay sale .. .. .. .. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parrot-Iphone-A … 3f14ea5069

image.. .. .. .. .. .. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!g4E45)K3DIMBO,FJuwde!~~60_57.JPG

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

Re: this is THE battery for 2.0

is it the same size as the default battery?

it is damn expensive...

4 (edited by MikesTooLz 05-09-2012 12:54:50)

AsteroidS wrote:

it is damn expensive...

Expensive but still in line with the official AR Drone battery.

I'll stick with the 1300mah for now that were like $9 each.

I still need to find a charger to charge them once they arive.

AsteroidS wrote:

is it the same size as the default battery?

Same length narrower width and alot taller as i described in my original post

saw this charger plate on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120909487732

mounts on the 2.0 charger and charges 1.0 batteries

Dam I hope you are planning on ditching that mini Tamiya connector...

Why would i ditch that connector?? Just curious

Isn't the extra weight an issue?

I've flown with the battery about five times so far and the drone responds well... i use the outdoor hull and I've stripped of the stickers on the hull so that saved some decent weight... the battery really isn't a whole lot heavier than the stock battery with its plastic case and internal circuitry

Cool, and what do you charge the battery with? Does the stock charger work with it

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Well first off the mini Tamiya connectors are not rated for the battery... A 3S 11.1v should at least use an EC3 or Deans connectors. And second ask anyone who flys if they will swap out whatever they have for mini Tamiya plugs, it'll probably be a HELL NO! The Tamiya plugs have a tendency to come "disconnect" at the worst possible time. The pins are crimped on instead of soldered on, so over time that connection becomes loose.

13 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 05-10-2012 21:35:59)

crosswire wrote:

Cool, and what do you charge the battery with? Does the stock charger work with it

I charge it with the old stock 1.0 drone charger... it won't charge with the stock 2.0 charger unless you get the charge plate adapter... they got it on ebay

SnowDrone wrote:
b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Well first off the mini Tamiya connectors are not rated for the battery... A 3S 11.1v should at least use an EC3 or Deans connectors. And second ask anyone who flys if they will swap out whatever they have for mini Tamiya plugs, it'll probably be a HELL NO! The Tamiya plugs have a tendency to come "disconnect" at the worst possible time. The pins are crimped on instead of soldered on, so over time that connection becomes loose.

Hmmm... i'm an electrical engineer and those connectors are more than enough for the Drone... it's not the battery that the connector needs to be rated for... but rather the amount of current the drone is able to draw thru the connector... i kinda did the math and you could run roughly six drones off that connector and still be in the "rating" as you called it... as for the crimp connections... they have proven themselves to me throughout my hobby career at these low voltages we deal with... however i am delicate with my wiring when handling my batteries and such... anybody telling you any different has fallen into the "mod mentality" that is fueled by vendors and advertisers trying to sell you something...

I bet my battery connector easily outlasts this drone by a huge margin

Hmmm talking about being a smart*** and slapped in the face for this. big_smile

I actually ordered the same battery and got it today.  If it gives me a 20 min flight time I'll be thrilled.

17 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 05-11-2012 02:10:54)

Just had two more flights with the battery... 21:15 (decent wind blowing at the time)... and 23:20 (no wind at all and not too much maneuvering ... mostly hover)

Things i've noticed with the battery...

-definetely shim it into place with the cardboard... don't let it slide around in there... the drone don't like that..

- starting temperature of the motors... yesterday i was out in the sun... the drone was sitting in the sun for a little while as i explained to my neighbor about the overall drone awesomeness... i flew in the sun for about 15 minutes and landed just to practice hitting a target landing pad i bought ... the motors were VERY warm... so i stopped flying right then and let it cool down in the shade before resuming... gadda remember if your gonna enjoy the long flight times that temperature will be a factor

You forget to factor in video recording? Cause it sounds like your just flying around with an Android blind.

The real test is how long you can make a full video on USB. I'm currently averaging 8-10 minute videos.

Much more energy intensive on the drone.

19 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 05-11-2012 13:19:46)

8 to 10 minutes on a 2000mAh battery?? I don't think so... i see people getting 10 minute videos off the stock battery...

yes i'm on android... but my cameras are still powered up and sending info... i just don't have the software to decode it...

and as for recording to usb? Maybe very little more energy intensive on the Drone... but there's no way it's gonna cut my times by 60%... the motors are the big power users onboard the drone... not the milliamps used by a microchip to record video

b00mb00mchuck wrote:
crosswire wrote:

I charge it with the old stock 1.0 drone charger... it won't charge with the stock 2.0 charger unless you get the charge plate adapter... they got it on ebay

so one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArDrone-2-0-VGE … 1c26c44065

crosswire wrote:
b00mb00mchuck wrote:
crosswire wrote:

so one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArDrone-2-0-VGE … 1c26c44065

Yupp Yupp... thats the one... just remember the stock charger is low power so it takes a good long while.. works perfect though

Well i guess thats your opnion as an EE's but for myself being an ME I've flow many planes in the past and I've only lost one due to a bad battery connection thanks to the tamiya plugs. I rather know that I've done all that I can to ensure a lost of power won't happen. Just figure I throw my 2 cents out there.

Good find on the battery btw.

b00mb00mchuck wrote:
SnowDrone wrote:
b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Hmmm... i'm an electrical engineer and those connectors are more than enough for the Drone... it's not the battery that the connector needs to be rated for... but rather the amount of current the drone is able to draw thru the connector... i kinda did the math and you could run roughly six drones off that connector and still be in the "rating" as you called it... as for the crimp connections... they have proven themselves to me throughout my hobby career at these low voltages we deal with... however i am delicate with my wiring when handling my batteries and such... anybody telling you any different has fallen into the "mod mentality" that is fueled by vendors and advertisers trying to sell you something...

SnowDrone wrote:

Well i guess thats your opnion as an EE's but for myself being an ME I've flow many planes in the past and I've only lost one due to a bad battery connection thanks to the tamiya plugs. I rather know that I've done all that I can to ensure a lost of power won't happen. Just figure I throw my 2 cents out there.

Good find on the battery btw.

b00mb00mchuck wrote:
SnowDrone wrote:

Good point... i was speaking on the ability of the connector to handle the load... but if it is cheap and you had a bad connector or whatever... i guess my story don't help at all... but like i said.. i'm very gentle with my stuff and i haven't had any problems with a tamiya in years

What are you using to charge the battery and what are you getting as charge time?

Hi Chuck,

Picked a set of these up - Arrived today (after about a 2 week wait for the package to arrive from China).

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/211066755.html

Initial tests - 14.5 minutes of hovering in the living room with 7 flips performed (indoor hull), and the second test (with the second battery) yielded a flight time (strictly hovering with outdoor hull) in the living room for 16.5 minutes.

I think your time of 23 minutes on less mAh power is probably due to decreased payload - in any case, it certainly trumps mine)! 

How much does this battery weigh?

Be well, and Smooth Sailing!
JimiH

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

just got this battery today in the mail... it will charge with the old drone 1.0 charger no problem... takes awhile though...
fits perfect in the battery compartment from end to end... side to side is a little small so i shimmed it on either side with a slice of corrugated cardboard to keep it snug... and its a little tall so you need to pull the usb plug out of the elastic and tuck it in on the side of the battery....then the hull goes right back on perfect.. we don't have as much room under our hull as the 1.0 so this is great...
doesn't seem too much heavier then the original battery... flies solid and stable as long as it's in there firmly and not sliding around...

I JUST GOT 23 MINUTES AND 16 SECONDS FLIGHT TIME OFF THIS BAD-BOY!!! outdoor hull outside with a very very light wind and a lot of flying... not too much hovering...

battery was good and warm at the end but not nearly as hot as the VGE 1300mAh batteries i've been using lately... motors were warm to the touch when finished but definitely not hot at all... very impressed with this for the price

link to ebay sale .. .. .. .. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parrot-Iphone-A … 3f14ea5069

image.. .. .. .. .. .. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!g4E45)K3DIMBO,FJuwde!~~60_57.JPG