Topic: Maximum Battery Size?

i'm looking for 3rd party batteries to use with my drone and the typical batteries recommended from hobbyking seems to be out of stock (at least in the US warehouse)

can anyone give me the dimensions of the battery compartment? also, i here the drone can also accomodate for longer batteries by placing them on the top of the compartment, instead of inside of it. what are dimensional limits for that configuration?

any tips would be appreciated.

even better, if you guys can point me to batteries currently available from hobbyking that will work with the drone, that would be awesome.

Re: Maximum Battery Size?

the batteries need to be 11.1v and if they don't have the same connectors an adapter will be needed to connect the battery of it is not the one that connects to the drone. also the official ar drone batteries are 10c so you would want the battery to have 10c or better discharge rating.

Weight is a big factor. the drone cannot carry a lot of extra weight. Also if the battery shifts while flying people say that they have had strange behaviors with it going in directions they didn't tell it to. The more the batteries weigh, the faster the battery will drain and the more stressed the drones motors will be.

and dimensions? (length/width/height)?

4 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 05-20-2012 13:28:51)

The battery tray is... Length 72mm width 38mm ... the stock battery height is 24mm... you can play with the height number... i'm using a 2000mAh that's 32mm tall and it works if you tuck the usb cable off to the side...

The longer 2250mAh battery that fits across the top of the tray on drone 1.0 does not work on drone 2.0....  the wires on drone 2.0 are located in the center now right in the way... also they have reduced the amount of free space under the hull... so if you can get the wires out of the way and get the battery strapped down with the Velcro straps that are too short... you still can't get the hull to sit down all the way... if you modify and trim the hull enough to fit... you end up with a hole in the top of the hull with a bettery sticking out a little bit...

This battery is the biggest i've seen crammed in a 2.0

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem … 5341835903

And it's HEAVY ... 173grams... won't do to well in the wind... will be clumsy doing flips...

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

5 (edited by Hiflyer 05-20-2012 14:13:09)

bbchuck does (of course) have the dimensions right, though AFAICT there are some who claim to squeeze a 73mm long battery in there.

I have a contrarian view (which is unsupported by any experience as yet!) that instead of going with a larger battery, I'd rather have multiple lighter batteries and "stock" short flight times. Lower stress on the drone, and lower stress on me!  wink

I ordered some of these from hobbyking (less than $5 bucks!), and found some small tamiya female connectors on ebay to solder in place of the connectors on this battery:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor … duct=16773

Almost 20g lighter than stock, with a better charge rate. I'll need to shim them in the battery bay so they don't shift around of course.

You know too finalhit that you will need a charger. I was lucky to discover that this one I bought a couple yrs ago for another purpose has everything I'll need to get the charging done right:

http://www.batteryprice.com/rcbatterych … arger.aspx

Good luck and let us know what you buy/how it works.

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

I agree on smaller batteries... the VGE 1300mAh battery is roughly the same weight as the stock drone battery and the flight time is longer but not "crazy longer"... you can tell by the way the drone reacts... it's a better choice for stable flight control... and i imagine wear and tear with a 173gram battery will show itself before too long

thanks for the response guys...you were very helpful.

@hiflyer,

i was actually considering those very battery since they're the only once hobbyking has in stock, and they are dirt cheap, however, i wanted to buy the turnigy nanos 1300mah (which i found on ebay) due to their higher max charge rate (5C).

i bought them at $18 a pop...and i could have have 8-9 of those (i would have realistically only bought 4-5, and save some money) if i had gone your direction. what i didn't want to do is babysit charging 4-5 batteries at 2c. i thought that would be tedious. i also wanted to try doing a continuous charge thing ... meaning i would basically just fly with one battery while charging another. hopefully, if i charged at 4-5C, i just keep cycling between my 3 batteries (+1 including the stock battery) and i can just play all the live-long day.

at least that's the plan, and i hope it works out. and yes, i got a IMax B6 from amazon. i have no clue what power source it needs, so i just got a universal AC adapter, with multiple plugs. hopefully, one of them works. i found shopping for chargers to be the most complex in this whole thing.

i'm a n00b in the RC hobby, so i don't really know what i'm doing. i should probably buy a fire extinguisher as well... tongue

again, thanks for the input, and if you guys have any tips on how to keep my toys useful for a longer time, i would love to hear them. especially with batteries and stuff, i know diddly-squat about them.

should i even be charging at 5c? am i just asking for trouble?

finalhit wrote:

hopefully, if i charged at 4-5C, i just keep cycling between my 3 batteries (+1 including the stock battery) and i can just play all the live-long day.

You have a much stronger constitution than I. I know this is supposed to be fun, but my first few flights have scared the heck out of me and worn me out. I'm an old guy so can't run with you younguns.

if you guys have any tips on how to keep my toys useful for a longer time, i would love to hear them. especially with batteries and stuff, i know diddly-squat about them.

should i even be charging at 5c? am i just asking for trouble?

You SHOULD take great care where you do your charging. A metal table or something (in case one catches fire or blows up. I'm not kidding.

Here is just a wonderful page about Li-Po batteries that I've found invaluable in studying-up on aftermarket replacements and charging:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

I picked up 6 lipo 18650's with 3100 mAh capacity each and constructed a couple custom battery replacements.  The weight went from stock 427.6g to 461.8g, so it adds 34g or 7.3% increase.

Flies perfectly and lasts 30 minutes at a minimum.  Haven't found any downside other than increased momentum effects.

I like the "zippy 2500mah"  battery. It's only 5-8 c rating but it only weighs 140 grams! I get 31 minutes flight time from it. And it's $20 on e bay

Sbaughmn wrote:

I picked up 6 lipo 18650's with 3100 mAh capacity

18650's are li-ion... not li-po

Jhowemca wrote:

I like the "zippy 2500mah"  battery. It's only 5-8 c rating but it only weighs 140 grams! I get 31 minutes flight time from it. And it's $20 on e bay

Dude... show a pic of how you strap that big monster into the tray... I wanna see how that thing fits

Haha... Im to embarrassed to post that pic... No really it's not to bad. It's actually not as big as you might think.

Here's the measurements...
Length 3 3/4"
Width 1 1/8"
Height 7/8"

Kinda an oddball size, but it's not that big. I think it is light and not huge due to the low c rating.

Ps sending pics from this iPad is a challenge.  Try to post one soon...

Has anyone used the Thunder Power G5 Pro Lite 25C Li-Po batteries?
From my research they are the lightest for the power they provide.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/G6ProLit … teries.htm

Drone-Mods.com is now offering the GiFi Power 1500 mAh batteries.

See my post with more info here:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie … mp;start=0

http://www.Drone-Mods.com/ || info@drone-mods.com
Products to enhance your experience with the Parrot® AR.DRONE
Exclusive U.S. distributor of the DroneTec QuadMod (R/C control)