Topic: ULTRASOUND EMERGENCY

Hi,

I received my AR.Drone 2.0 last friday. I made only several flights in my living room.

There is strange situation: sometimes the drone flights 1-3 minutes and stops with error message "ULTRASOUND EMERGENCY", but sometimes the drone flights during 8-10 minutes well without any error messages and this situation repeats again and again.

I hate it because I don't know what happens.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Dimitry.

2 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 06-05-2012 20:15:58)

Re: ULTRASOUND EMERGENCY

Do you have thick carpet?? Also lots of hard surfaces will cause ultrasound echo and reflection... indoors has a few different situations that aren't very friendly with ultrasound

Also your ultrasound board may be loose and vibrating too much ... try gently pressing it into place... don't press on the screens... press on the cans edges around the screens... there's only 3M adhesive holding it in place but pressing on it real good usually makes it stick

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Do you have thick carpet?? Also lots of hard surfaces will cause ultrasound echo and reflection... indoors has a few different situations that aren't very friendly with ultrasound

Hm, good suggestion, yes there is carpet in the room. Many thanks! I'll try to run it under another surfaces. And I'll report results here.

I tried to fly under another surfaces, there are no results: the drone fails with ultrasound emergency sad

I am getting alot of ultrasound erors as well. Mine takes off to about 1 metre then immediately crashes with the "Ultrasound Emergency".  Try pressing the reset button on the Drone worked for me to a certain extent but still getting lots of errors.  Going to try to roll back the firmware tonight.

iPhone 4 IOS 6
Firmware 2.1.12 and never going to change...EVER

6 (edited by Ramumail 06-07-2012 06:27:52)

I bought my AR DRONE 2.0 last week. It was flying indoor very well. When I tried outdoor with indoor hull ( to be on the safe side, as its my first drone) all was well. But when I climbed to 6 metres or maybe a little more to 7 metres, the drone was hovering nicely but when i tried to bring it down, it showed "ULTRASOUND EMERGENCY" and came crasghing down. After pre check on the drone, the properller are all working well with no sign of damages. ( strong hull). When I tried to fly again, it always showed ULTRA EMERGENCY, and it does not want to take off. I am so sad as what has happen, as I believed this AR DRONE 2.0 was built to fly for begineers like me. I have completed a Technical form from Parrot , till today there is no news from them. I believe the Navigation board is having problem. Would be possible for me to sent the navigation board to Parrot and get a replacement. I dont want to send the entire package, as nothing is damaged beside the board as mentioned. The drone was updated to software 2.1.18. Thank you

So far nobody is having any luck with swapping parts with parrot... they always want the whole unit... there's a flight data recorder on the main board that gives them info about what went wrong, how long the unit has flown, etc....

This is for anyone having the Ultrasound emergency problem out of the box.  I was getting a lot of this for the first week of flying and it was really frustrating.  Fly for a minute then crash then fly for a minute and crash.  My drone was doing this even over high contrast areas and with the ultrasound emergency the props stop flying so you might as well just hit the emerg button yourself.

What I did to fix the problem.

I suspected that the Nav board was ok as my drone was doing this out of the box and all of the seals were intact (never been flown).  Eventually I built up the nerve to peel off the plastic bottom and take a closer look of the nav to main board connections.  I removed all three connection points and removed the nav circut board.  I found that the pressure sensor (it’s the black square with a bit of foam visible on the top) on the top side of the board was partially peeled off.  I re-stuck the black pressure sensor to the board and took a photography blower to the metal ultrasound sensors to clear any possible dust that had collected in them.

After reassembling the drone took it for a flight and viola, fixed works like a dream now.  No ultrasound issues whatsoever since the fix, now if only Parrot would send the new software so I could get off .18 (stupid drone drop). 

A word of caution to anyone removing the nav board from the main board.  Be careful with the plastic retaining clips, they are only very thin plastic and break really easily.  Remember you are probably going to be re-using the nav board and will need those clips later.

Hope this helps

iPhone 4 IOS 6
Firmware 2.1.12 and never going to change...EVER

My new drone 2.0 suddenly is giving me the "Ultrasound emergency" error.  I tried resetting to no avail and tried pushing not he transducers (as someone above suggested) to no avail.  I have not worked up the nerve to peel the bottom off.  Was it easy to re-assemble?  Did you have to re-glue it?  If so, with what adhesive? I did have a crash or two, so perhaps something got knocked loose.

mp_dude45 wrote:

This is for anyone having the Ultrasound emergency problem out of the box.  I was getting a lot of this for the first week of flying and it was really frustrating.  Fly for a minute then crash then fly for a minute and crash.  My drone was doing this even over high contrast areas and with the ultrasound emergency the props stop flying so you might as well just hit the emerg button yourself.

I suspected that the Nav board was ok as my drone was doing this out of the box and all of the seals were intact (never been flown).  Eventually I built up the nerve to peel off the plastic bottom and take a closer look of the nav to main board connections.  I removed all three connection points and removed the nav circut board.  I found that the pressure sensor (it’s the black square with a bit of foam visible on the top) on the top side of the board was partially peeled off.  I re-stuck the black pressure sensor to the board and took a photography blower to the metal ultrasound sensors to clear any possible dust that had collected in them.

After reassembling the drone took it for a flight and viola, fixed works like a dream now.  No ultrasound issues whatsoever since the fix, now if only Parrot would send the new software so I could get off .18 (stupid drone drop). 

A word of caution to anyone removing the nav board from the main board.  Be careful with the plastic retaining clips, they are only very thin plastic and break really easily.  Remember you are probably going to be re-using the nav board and will need those clips later.

Hope this helps

10 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 06-19-2012 16:04:46)

Peel the bottom of slowly with the aid of a butter knife... it will stick back in place with the adhesive it still has on it... works a few times before it starts losing its stick

First thirty seconds of this video should help you out

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zdZELplzBOE

Same thing happened with my new drone. This will sound weird but as soon as I powered off my household Wifi router... the Ultrasound Emergency Error went away. Who woulda thunk?  yikes

I was having nothing but "ultrasound emergency" right out of the box. Looking at the drone's belly it appeared that the ultrasound sensors were misaligned by about a few millimeters, so that the plastic shield covered the rim of the sensors. I played with the sensors, bending them into position so that they were no longer covered. This completely fixed the problem.

I too am having the Ultrasound emergency fresh out of the seal. Was not hoping to rip it apart before having the opportunity to smash it into the side of the house or a tree, but here it goes.

PAIRofSKIS wrote:

I too am having the Ultrasound emergency fresh out of the seal. Was not hoping to rip it apart before having the opportunity to smash it into the side of the house or a tree, but here it goes.

UPDATE:
I opened it up, reconnected all cables and connections, put it all back together and it worked like a champ.

I love when that happens big_smile   big_smile

My first drone was also experiencing that Ultrasound emergency error. The only solution I've done just adjust both sensors position to the center of its holes. Perhaps from a crash those sensor sometimes moved from its position, so the plastic plate at the bottom of the drone block the sensors.

AR.Drone 2.1 | AR.Freeflight 2.0 V.2.05 | FW : 2.2.3 | Absolute Control | Samsung Galaxy Tab

I do not own an ultra sound machine so not sure about fixing this error. Why do not you contact to the service center of that particular brand?They will surely help you  out to fix it.

^^^^^¿¿¿¿¿¿ roll  roll  roll  roll  roll

I also having the Ultrasound Emergency alert fresh out of the box. (received it one week ago)
The strange thing is that the problem disappears after approx 10 times with unsuccessful take offs then the AR Drone works fine. (50% of the battery capacity is then already used)
When I replace the battery with a fresh one it works fine. (spare battery)
I also tried different underlay like, carpets, asphalt, concrete etc.  but the result is the same every time.

Is the AR Drone quality so bad that I have to rip it apart and check the connections etc. when it’s brand new??

The Iphone 4S and AR Drone is updated with the latest software.

mp_dude45 - Just wanted to say Thank You! I had the same problem with ultrasound emergency after my first few flights right out of the box. Thanks to your post, I was able to remove my navigation board and reseat the pressure sensor on the upper side of the board - works perfectly o Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

mp_dude45 wrote:

Hope this helps

21 (edited by DomKane 03-19-2013 23:46:08)

I'm having that issue after owning and enjoying the Drone 2.0 for almost a week... After a bit of trial and error, I took the plastic cover off, looked around and couldn't see anything wrong, but still got the Ultrasound Emergency error.

However, I then tried flying it with the cover off (indoors) and it worked fine... Put plastic back on, and Ultrasound Error.

It's as though the plastic cover is interfering with the US elements? I really don't want to have to send this back and be weeks without the Drone, just for the sake of a plastic cover tbh. sad

[EDIT]: I called Parrot and tried all the things above but to no avail.  Then sent the device back to the store who checked with Parrot and replaced the whole thing for me. It turned out to be a faulty transducer. All's well that ends well, and I'm back to being a little kid living a dream again. :-)