1 (edited by Exploding Fist 06-06-2012 05:34:14)

Topic: Mirumod - Replace your wifi with a proper RC transmitter

http://www.custodela.com/p/miru/mod1.jpg

I came to realize in a different thread that many of you may not be aware of a very important and relatively simple mod option for the AR Drone. The whole Wifi control is a neat gimmick at first, but after disconnecting from wifi multiple times, or losing your finger placement on your iDevice a number of times *crash*, you might want to consider adding a proper radio control interface to your drone.

This works without having to conduct surgery to the actual drone, modify the software on the drone, or anything that may void the warrentee. This mod controls the drone using the serial port located at the bottom of your drone.

If you have an RC transmitter and receiver, this mod can be built for about $20. You will need access to a soldering iron, and not be afraid to use it. That said, this is fairly easy to build. Unplug the mod from the serial port, and the Drone can be controlled again over wifi.

Once modded, the first thing I noticed was how much easier the drone is to control. I immediately had about 10 times more fun flying it, and I stopped crashing alltogether (okay, the wind blew me into a tree once). You will also gain an almost unlimited range (line of site). The mod also features multiple options for auto landing if you do lose connection with the drone, but some RC receivers support programatical responses (i.e. slowly move down).

Official site with detailed instructions and mod firmware: http://mirumod.hopto.org/
Official forum (RCGroups thread): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420951

Some of the more detailed instructions are meant for AR Drone 1 users, which requires cutting into the foam to install the mod. I discovered that you can cleanly install the mod into the bottom of your drone without cutting anything. Details here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost … count=2303

You can spend quite a bit of money and order a pre-assembled mod from multiple locations, under different names (i.e. MacGyver), but they are all mirumod under the covers, except your ability to customize it will be extremely limited.

Re: Mirumod - Replace your wifi with a proper RC transmitter

Way cool!

Mick

Hi Guys,

I understand that a lot of flyers are modding your AR Drone to make improvements to range and looks but I just need to say that Parrot do not recommend to modify your AR Drone in this way and doing so would invalidate your warranty.

Parrot Advisor UK 2.
technical.uk@parrot.com

08444 722360

What max distance can I get with this mod (ar drone 2.0) ?
Also, do you know any battery-mods?
One last question, will I be able to receive video on my phone with the RC mod (larger distance, more than 500m)?

alexandernst wrote:

What max distance can I get with this mod (ar drone 2.0) ?
Also, do you know any battery-mods?
One last question, will I be able to receive video on my phone with the RC mod (larger distance, more than 500m)?

Distance depends on signal, which is variable on your environment. This has the same range as any RC plane/copter, minus some interference from the local wifi card.

Once you lose phone wifi access, you'll stop seeing the video. Recording keeps going on a USB key, even when out of range. It probably records locally too, but I never do it this way.

Parrot Advisor UK 2 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I understand that a lot of flyers are modding your AR Drone to make improvements to range and looks but I just need to say that Parrot do not recommend to modify your AR Drone in this way and doing so would invalidate your warranty.

Yes, understood.

I would also think having your Drone fly off into the distance with no control and losing it completely is also not covered by warranty...nor is running into a fence or a tree and breaking it.

Whereas I probably won't go to the trouble of doing this mod (one day I'll buy a real quadrocopter) I applaud the ingenuity and skills of the people that do. Kudos!

Mick cool

Parrot Advisor UK 2 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Will parrot please release an official RF mod! Offical light mod would be nice too.

Hope it helps.

8 (edited by Exploding Fist 06-07-2012 14:06:44)

Ratmick wrote:

Whereas I probably won't go to the trouble of doing this mod (one day I'll buy a real quadrocopter)

I'm in the middle of engineering/building my own quadcopter now. Modding/flying the RC AR Drone is/was good training, as it can take a reasonable beating smile

I was planning on adding much more to the drone, but realized quickly that it isn't practical (mainly due to the weak motors). The only thing I may add is a light RC controlled (on/off) LED system for night flying.

I'm just throwing this question in this thread because you sound like you know what your doing EF.... do you think i can chop the usb cable off the board with no adverse effects... i never use the usb... and it would save me another 10grams... along with the outdoor hull stickers that's a total of almost 30grams... more than enough for my LED lights and still come out even on the weight...

I understand the theory of cutting the usb cable at the board... one lead at a time so as not to ground anything... and insulating the solder points afterwards... i'm just worried about removing the cable and then finding out it is necessary for the drone to function properly

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

About the lights, why don't we just plug in USB based lights?
Just saying...

"Simplification is the greatest friend and foe of the engineer." -Me
Looking for drones and drone flyers in NJ area!

11 (edited by Exploding Fist 06-08-2012 20:34:44)

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

I'm just throwing this question in this thread because you sound like you know what your doing EF.... do you think i can chop the usb cable off the board with no adverse effects... i never use the usb... and it would save me another 10grams... along with the outdoor hull stickers that's a total of almost 30grams... more than enough for my LED lights and still come out even on the weight...

I understand the theory of cutting the usb cable at the board... one lead at a time so as not to ground anything... and insulating the solder points afterwards... i'm just worried about removing the cable and then finding out it is necessary for the drone to function properly

You could cut it, but if you do tape up the end so that no wires are touching. Basically you're just shortening the USB cable, but the drone will still send electric signals to it as if it was usable (which is why you don't want wires touching. This could fry stuff).

Thedoode has a good suggestion. You should power the LEDs with the 5v power that comes from the USB cable. You could have a win/win by cutting the cable, and directly connecting 5v LEDs to the proper wires.

ixxe wrote:

Mirumod isnt for everyone. And it will void your warrenty.

Since this is the parrot forum, I'm just going to say this and you can infer what I'm getting at. There is zero modification to the drone with this mod. Disconnect the console cable, and the drone is stock again. That said if you mis-wire the mod by not following the instructions properly, you could fry stuff (the console port is essentially a USB interface).

I will agree it isn't for everyone though.

To add one more thing. The console port gives off 12V. So, you could use that as well to power the LEDs if they need more juice. Not sure on the current limit (USB is 500-900mA)

13 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 06-08-2012 21:27:41)

Exploding Fist wrote:

You could cut it, but if you do tape up the end so that no wires are touching. Basically you're just shortening the USB cable, but the drone will still send electric signals to it as if it wasting usable (which is why you don't want wires touching. This could fry stuff).

Thedoode has a good suggestion. You should power the LEDs with the 5v power that comes from the USB cable. You could have a win/win by cutting the cable, and directly connecting 5v LEDs to the proper wires.

Just FYI.. i'm not going to cut mid cable... i'll be cutting each lead at the solder connection on the board... and i'm not interested in the 5volt LED deal... all my stuff is already 12volt and ready to go...

So you're pretty sure that the actual removal of the USB cable, if done properly, won't effect the function of the drone? Just want to be sure beforehand

If done properly, it won't affect anything.

Dear all,

I recently bought a drone 2.0 and I am currently thinking to try the Miru Mod enhancement. I understand this allows the use of an RC transmitter but I noticed that there is also a possibility for a GPS provision.

Can someone advise what this GPS may be used for? Could someone connect the drone with a laptop and guide it through coordinates (the GPS would make the drone aware of where exactly it is located)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

This might also be a solution roll
http://buy.thegameklip.com/
You wont get the extended range tho.

I've been loooking for somethin like this... I wonder if it works with the 60.Beat controller?!

Kim M Jensen wrote:

jazzomaniak wrote:

I've been loooking for somethin like this... I wonder if it works with the 60.Beat controller?!

Kim M Jensen wrote:

I have no idea if it works, but it would be a neat way of controlling the drone, i too hate the "no feel" of the touchscreen

PS3 controller flying is cool but not so sweet for video stability... every time you return the joystick to center it's like taking your thumb off the joypad and the drone does it's own “stop and hover” move... not a deal breaker but gets twitchy when trying to make a nice smooth video

http://youtu.be/BBAC1_UFVW0

Hi guys, Ive had my 2. power edition for a few weeks now and im really looking into doing the rc controller option. Is it just a case of buying the mirumod from ebay then buying any compatible transmitter?  What are the total costs of this mod?

I really want better control over my drone! sad

j444bek wrote:

I really want better control over my drone! sad

Do you have an Android or iOS Control Device?

If Android then an Android compatible Game Controller will give you physical joysticks. A game controller is about $45. 

Also, if you still need a good Video Downlink then an External Antenna Mod on the drone will drastically improve video and much greater control range too.

Check out: DroneMod.com - AR Drone External Antenna Mod
YouTube Channel - Watch the video: Remote Takeoff, Fly to Me