Topic: ***HOW TO UPDATE YOUR AR.DRONE***

Hello All,

It is very  important to regularly update your AR.Drone's firmware in order to benefit from every available improvements.

Two update methods exist; one simple and automatic via the interface of the AR FreeFlight application  (thus from your iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad), the other one can be realized from a PC or a MAC.

These update procedures are available here:

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-dro … ort/update

Important notes:

- Make sure that the battery of the AR.Drone is full before launching the update
- The update can take up to 10min: wait until the 4 leds engines turn green (before that, do not disconnect the battery)

-Adviser 3-

Re: ***HOW TO UPDATE YOUR AR.DRONE***

the latest version of Free Flight, v1.4 in iTunes, is meant to show up on the iPhone as v1.1.3? I ask because I'm having various issues connecting to my AR.Drone, and I want to make sure I have the latest firmware installed - but I'm not asked to update the firmware (btw I received mine new yesterday Friday 3 September from Brookstone)

Wow, that update page really needs to be re-worked a bit.  If you don't use your airport for your main connection you have to know to disconnect it if your router is using the same IP as the AR.Drone, or if it's even on the same subnet because it won't route correctly to the drone.

Also the instructions state to enter 192.168.1.1 but the screenshot shows connecting to 192.168.1.2 instead.

Keep your eyes peeled, there's a new update coming out very soon.

Screenshots are on www.ardrone-flyers.com

Check out  http://www.ardrone-flyers.com  for more AR Drone info and helpful content.
AR Drone Wiki for more information - http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/

It's out - D/Ling from app store now (Includes firmware, too so maybe the height bug is fixed!)

JonWitte wrote:

It's out - D/Ling from app store now (Includes firmware, too so maybe the height bug is fixed!)

It's not.

And unless I've missed something, the takeoff/land button doesn't work most of the time. I have to push it several times to have any effect. Didn't do this before.

But the altitude thing... that's a bummer.

Yeah, I updated the app and firmware, and now it doesn't work.  App loads, sees the AR.Drone, sees that the firmware is the latest, and goes on to the main screen.  Pressing the takeoff/land button, and it tries to start up, but then immediately goes to Emergency Shutoff and stops.  Anyway to go back to the firmware that worked?

jfucci - i'm having issues to after updating. all the motors are lit up red, and on the app its coming up with a warning message "MOTOR EMERGENCY" when looking in the setting it appears the motors have not updated the firmware and showing 0.0

Hiya. The reset button has gone.... when the Parrot crashes and an emergency message comes up on the screen you cant reset anymore. Also the take/off land touch area is ultra small so you have to hit it right. Otherwise, it runs ok.

The 1.3.3 is full of bugs please a guide to downgrade

Thanks for sharing this information.

OK - I just received an email about a "new" AR.Drone Freeflight 1.6 which I have had for quit a while.

I gather the Firmware current version is 1.3.3.  However, this forum suggests it is buggy. 

What is the status of the firmware and its stability?

I have DroneControl which has a firmware manager, but it only loads the current Firmware - 1.3.3.  Is there a way I can get the previous version

Thanks

wmbollen wrote:

OK - I just received an email about a "new" AR.Drone Freeflight 1.6 which I have had for quit a while.

I gather the Firmware current version is 1.3.3.  However, this forum suggests it is buggy. 

What is the status of the firmware and its stability?

I have DroneControl which has a firmware manager, but it only loads the current Firmware - 1.3.3.  Is there a way I can get the previous version

Thanks

You will find your answer if you update your drone control to the new 1.4.1 that was just released today in iTunes.

matrix961

Thank you. 
Can you recommend 1.4.6? 
Also I find it very interesting the release numbers available on firmware (for Drone Control)  Does Parrot have release notes somewhere to tell you what is going on?

I nave a drone with 4 red lights "on" but no WIFI FOUND via PC or iPad. I start the new update wait a long time (More than the 10 minutes recomended) and no More WIFI. What can i do?

Thanks

Help, the update process bricked my Drone...

Same problem here.

Hi All! Latest update broke my new ARDrone!!! Please help!!!
I just unpacked my ARDrone, after it I connected it to iPad the ARFreeFlight proposed to update... After the ARDrone was restarted it just shows me four red LEDs. And it is continuing more than an hour...

How to repair it?

Mine did the same,I didnt even get a chance to fly it, I got ahold of tech support and and had to send it in now I wait too see if it will work when I get it back, I asked whats th chances are that this will happen again after I get it back and how long will the repair take, the anwser I got was "I'll take one week" no other answer to my question, I was very disappointed that I couldnt even fly it (insert sad face here)

I connected part of normal USB cable by separated wires.
And now I can fly smile !!!

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie … amp;t=1171

I wish these warnings were listed in the Free Flight UI.  I got impatient after 5 minutes and disconnected everything.  Now my brand new unit is disabled with I assume corrupt flash due to download interrruption.  Is there a way to back out?

Adviser 3 wrote:

Hello All,

It is very  important to regularly update your AR.Drone's firmware in order to benefit from every available improvements.

Two update methods exist; one simple and automatic via the interface of the AR FreeFlight application  (thus from your iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad), the other one can be realized from a PC or a MAC.

These update procedures are available here:

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-dro … ort/update

Important notes:

- Make sure that the battery of the AR.Drone is full before launching the update
- The update can take up to 10min: wait until the 4 leds engines turn green (before that, do not disconnect the battery)

-Adviser 3-

I cannot seem to get the last step: Connect to ftp://192.168.1.1:5551 in Windows Explorer. It tells me that the proxy server is not set up to allow full access. And that to paste files, i must use a different proxy. Anyone has any idea what that means? Thanks!

I have a problem with update software using PC. I done everything like in manual but after waiting even 30minut lights are green. When I turn on drone their are red, after few seconds they are green (file with update is stored using ftp on drone) and their are green even 1hour. I trays to make this update about 2 hours so battery right now is about 55%. After all when I try to connect to drone I can't until I press Unpair. After that I can connect but software wersion is still 1.4. After another using ftp on drone there is bo longer any file with update.
I have android phone so I have to do this update using PC...

SRG wrote:

I wish these warnings were listed in the Free Flight UI.  I got impatient after 5 minutes and disconnected everything.  Now my brand new unit is disabled with I assume corrupt flash due to download interruption.  Is there a way to back out?

Seconding the sentiments above. Watched the videos on the website on quick start and flight, installed the app, and chose "update". It said some stuff and then disconnected the WiFi. The app never mentioned a time duration or what to wait for. Now that the drone is sitting here with 4 red lights for an hour already I'm reading the fine print, but considering how slick a product you have and how adamant you are in recommending regular updates, some more hand holding during that process would be in order.

Haven't flown once and I'll be contacting support soon. Pretty dissapointed.

ddrueding wrote:
SRG wrote:

I wish these warnings were listed in the Free Flight UI.  I got impatient after 5 minutes and disconnected everything.  Now my brand new unit is disabled with I assume corrupt flash due to download interruption.  Is there a way to back out?

Seconding the sentiments above. Watched the videos on the website on quick start and flight, installed the app, and chose "update". It said some stuff and then disconnected the WiFi. The app never mentioned a time duration or what to wait for. Now that the drone is sitting here with 4 red lights for an hour already I'm reading the fine print, but considering how slick a product you have and how adamant you are in recommending regular updates, some more hand holding during that process would be in order.

Haven't flown once and I'll be contacting support soon. Pretty dissapointed.

As a follow up, depressing the "reset" button until the red lights flashed (while the battery was connected) was enough to bring it back to life. While my suggestion above stands, thanks for putting in a reset button wink