Topic: Range Extender

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to extend the range of an AR-Drone 2.0?  Would a signal booster on the iPhone help?  What is a good one? Are there 3rd party boosters for the drone itself? 
Thanks,
Bob

2 (edited by Ratmick 06-16-2012 08:17:21)

Re: Range Extender

Bob_in_Atlanta wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to extend the range of an AR-Drone 2.0?  Would a signal booster on the iPhone help?  What is a good one? Are there 3rd party boosters for the drone itself? 
Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

There are multiple threads in www.ardrone-flyers.com forum about using a wifi router to 'boost' the signal, albeit not directly.

Have a look in the 'Modifications' section.

It requires a bit of playing around with the router and the Drone, but seems to work pretty well.

Basically I gather the Router connects to the Drone and your iDevice also connects to the Router.

Mick cool

Bob_in_Atlanta wrote:

Thanks,
Bob

Lots of fol(s are using the Amped SR10000 WiFi extender.  See fuller discussion elsewhere on this forum and on ARDrone-Flyers.com

Yeah don't get a router, get a Repeater. I don't think the SR10000 is a two-radio repeater but people have reported good success with them. But a two-radio should theoretically be better because you don't have to share the radio (which halves the bandwidth) when repeating signals between the Drone and your controller.

But maybe at Drone speeds even half-bandwidth is plenty fast enough.

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

Linksys WAP54G with DD-WRT firmware in Repeater Bridge mode does the same job at a significantly smaller price. So far I didn't manage to run out of range with it, though if you really plan to fly far get the SR, at least on paper it seems to put out more power. Otherwise the WAP54G has two antennas, apparently choosing automatically which to use for receiving and which for sending. It can be powered by either a 3S lipo or 8S nimh or 8x AA batteries or whatever gives you 10-12V.

Drone 2.0 (fw 2.3.3) / Asus Transformer Prime (Android 4.1.1) / ARDrone Flight Pro
Range extender: TP-Link WA830RE / Sony DualShock 3 controller

Costing - What kind of range are you getting with that setup?  I see a WAP54G with DD-WRT on eBay for about $30 and I'm contemplating buying it.

Thanks

Hard to tell ... the furthest it went was 50m high (at least I've limited it to that and didn't go more) and from the looks of it 50-60m away. I'll try to find a larger area to see how far it can go really, so far I didn't manage to get out of this guys range, while with the tablet only it was very easy to...

You can even get a virgin WAP and install DD-WRT yourself, it's not difficult at all, I just had an issue (like many apparently) that the first firmware update didn't work right, then you have to boot it in a recovery mode and tftp to it the same firmware once more. That was fun smile

Drone 2.0 (fw 2.3.3) / Asus Transformer Prime (Android 4.1.1) / ARDrone Flight Pro

costing wrote:

Hard to tell ... the furthest it went was 50m high (at least I've limited it to that and didn't go more) and from the looks of it 50-60m away. I'll try to find a larger area to see how far it can go really, so far I didn't manage to get out of this guys range, while with the tablet only it was very easy to...

You can even get a virgin WAP and install DD-WRT yourself, it's not difficult at all, I just had an issue (like many apparently) that the first firmware update didn't work right, then you have to boot it in a recovery mode and tftp to it the same firmware once more. That was fun smile

What has been your experience with uncontrolled fly-away incidents when using ARDrone Flight as opposed to the Parrot program?  Have you had any?  If so, why?

No fly-away yet for me. Actually Parrot's app crashes on my device so I can only say that with ARDrone Flight I had no incidents yet.

Btw, did you limit the pairing with your drone? Maybe a helpful neighbour tried to teach you how to fly into trees? smile

10 (edited by VAdroneflier 09-20-2012 12:37:55)

costing wrote:

No fly-away yet for me. Actually Parrot's app crashes on my device so I can only say that with ARDrone Flight I had no incidents yet.

Btw, did you limit the pairing with your drone? Maybe a helpful neighbour tried to teach you how to fly into trees? smile

I always have pairing turned on so that should not have been a possibility.  I'm suspecting one of three possible causes.
1. WiFi interference (I'll soon return to the scene and do a wifi analyzer scan of the environment).
2. A software/firmware bug exists related to launching after an excessive tilt shutdown.
3. ARDrones are an herbivorous species and mine was hungry for tree leaves.

Anyone know if this wifi external antennae will help the sr100000 with the drone 2.0
http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless-Ou … 01_04_t_lh
Any input will be helpful.
  it is a Amped Wireless High Power Outdoor 14dBi Directional WiFi Antenna Kit (AD14EX)

PhilWebb wrote:

Anyone know if this wifi external antennae will help the sr100000 with the drone 2.0
http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless-Ou … 01_04_t_lh
Any input will be helpful.
  it is a Amped Wireless High Power Outdoor 14dBi Directional WiFi Antenna Kit (AD14EX)

There are some panel/patch antennas with a broader angle than 30 degrees, e.g. I've seen some that claim 130 degrees. The wider the angle the better the coverage, though (most likely) with less gain than a narrow beam. So if you know exactly where you are going to fly your Drone, and aim this directional antenna accordingly, it might work for you.

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

Costing, I have the same Linksys model - just wondering how I go about setting it up to work with my drone 2.0.

Allow me to share some of my experiences to extend wifi range as the main function to extend AR Drone Range.

Most articles about how to extend the AR drone range are using Wifi Repeater. As my experience using Repeater to extend wifi range is not good enough to extend Drone range and also give you unstable Signal, because the router share the wifi signal together between receiver (iPhone, iPad, PC, etc) and transmitter (Drone it self).

I try to make a different way which I can customise the long range, fix the wifi signal condition, and also I can see how strong the signal between my Drone Ground Satellite and the drone easily. what I do is prepare all items bellow:

- 1 Wifi Outdoor External Antena TP-Link TL-Ant 2412D could give u 12 dB signal wifi booster that will deliver your wifi signal as far as 1km or more depend on environment condition (Trees, Building, and Antenna location), u can also use another type antenna could give u more NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN signal like 15dBi or more. More bigger signal (dBi) give u more range
- 1 Bullet M2 outdoor router, u can use any other B/G/N wifi router which have client mode
- 1 TL-WR702N (Pocket size AP router), u can use any other B/G/N wifi with AP Mode

How these things work together

1. Connect to your drone

- Attach the Bullet M2 router directly to the external antenna (it doesn't need any pigtail)
- Turn on and configure Bullet M2 as station mode, manual IP same with Drone IP path, and connect to your wifi drone
Once it connect to your drone it will show you how strong the signal between your antenna and your Drone in signal indicator on Bullet Body

(physically)
Physically Signal Indicator

We also can see the signal indicator from router (ex: Laptop control)
Physically Signal Indicator

Wifi Signal from Bullet M2 Only Connect to the AR Drone which give u more stable signal, but it still depend on your environment condition (building, tress and antenna potiition).

2. Connecting your gadget or PC to your drone
- Setup the other router to connect to Bullet M2 using UTP Cable (Im using TL-WR702N in Acces Point Mode (AP))
- Turn off DHCP and put the IP manual with the same path with Drone (ex: 192.168.1.253)
- U can use any name for your access point, using password or without password
- Connect TL-WR702N to Bullet router through LAN Cable
- Now Connect your gadget or laptop to the Acces Point u're newly creted
- Once it connect to your drone check your IP, if your IP is about 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3 or any same path 192.168.1.xx you're ready to fly with more range and stable connection

This is video version for setup, and the flight result but still in Indonesian Version

I use an Amped SR10000 setup and fly out to One KiloMeter (3280 feet) and back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxMEaXt_5kk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UA-RekZr0w

The only drone mod is an external antenna mod; no on-drone booster.

For the Range Extender: any panel antenna, 12 to 14 dBi, will work. Brand is not so important.

Check out: DroneMod.com - AR Drone External Antenna Mod
YouTube Channel - Watch the video: Remote Takeoff, Fly to Me