Re: Bad Motor? Please Check Here! *** Updated ***

Yes, the shady Parrot Company is using the reputation of well known Stores/Distributers to sell there product to customers who would of never bought this ARDrone 2.0 knowing that the return policies are not valid with Parrot's product.  Therefore the usual Customer Satisfactory 30-day full money return or exchange policy is not applicable for this item.  Not certain but I believe this is the only item at the Source (store in Canada) which behaves this way.  Also, they are the only store in Canada in which you can buy this item.  Maybe, no other stores would bend their policies and thats why the Source is the only supplier (bad decision for the Source).

I was certainly disappointed to learn of the "no-return" policy via the store I got my 2.0 from, but I was informed of this policy before I made the purchase, so at least it wasn't a surprise.  I was also irritated that I only got about 1.5 days use out of my drone before the good-ol' "motor emergency" error popped up...although I did not observe any FET burnouts like the ones posted on previous pages.

Currently waiting on parrot to send me an email with instructions on when/how/where to send my drone back in for repair.  I will say that flying the drone was MUCH more fun than I had anticipated and, despite the problems, I'm looking forward to buzzing my neighbors front door (hopefully) sometime soon.  Can anyone tell me about what sorta turn-around time I'm looking at as far as repair?  It's either a burnt motor, motor control board or main board as I haven't sustained any physical damage...yet.

-Shocka

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Hello,

It's not possible to receive a replacement motor but you should return the Drone where it was purchased for product exchange or repair of the faulty parts.

And Parrot has single handedly changed the return policy of at least three multi billion dollar corperations who will not accept a return even if you try it out in the parking lot in front of the store... as soon as the product seal is cut they will not accept a return or deal with repairs... you must take your problems directly back to Parrot

Yeah.......... Thats' kinda what I was thinking... Why would they tell him to take it back to the store?!?!

Morons...

- Nick Chestnut

Have a great day everyone!

Shockazulu wrote:

I was certainly disappointed to learn of the "no-return" policy via the store I got my 2.0 from, but I was informed of this policy before I made the purchase, so at least it wasn't a surprise.  I was also irritated that I only got about 1.5 days use out of my drone before the good-ol' "motor emergency" error popped up...although I did not observe any FET burnouts like the ones posted on previous pages.

Currently waiting on parrot to send me an email with instructions on when/how/where to send my drone back in for repair.  I will say that flying the drone was MUCH more fun than I had anticipated and, despite the problems, I'm looking forward to buzzing my neighbors front door (hopefully) sometime soon.  Can anyone tell me about what sorta turn-around time I'm looking at as far as repair?  It's either a burnt motor, motor control board or main board as I haven't sustained any physical damage...yet.

-Shocka

From what we've seen in these forum posts ... it's around three weeks... and i've heard worse lately because they're getting backed up... i have seen a couple 10 day stories but that was awhile back before firmware updates started killing drones

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

Well, damn.  Sounds like I need to get this thing shipped asap if I want to be flying in the next month or so?!  In the meantime I suppose I can start looking at ordering aftermarket/spare parts, better bearings etc. just to pass the time, heh.

Shockazulu wrote:

-Shocka

When mine was return for repair; I had an email within 24 hours of what to do and where to return it.  Although, at first they wanted me to send it to the USA Repair Depot at my expense.  After talking with the support manager, he informed me that if I live in Canada then I should send it to the repair depot near Toronto as it would be quicker.  Also, he was kind enough to pay for shipping as he knew that it was Parrots fault and they should be paying (or maybe he didn't want the hassle that I was going to give him if they did not pay for shipping).  I received it back or a replacement drone back(??) within a week and it was fixed but now it had two ARDrone v1.0 motors and it did not fly worth a shoit!!!  I replaced these with V2 motors from another ARDrone v2 that I own and it ran fine.  Since then I called Tech. Support and they sent me two brand new v2 motors and they came within 48 hours.

So, if you live Canada make sure they give you the address for the Canadian Repair Depot and send it there as it will be quicker and hopefully it will not come back fixed with v1 motors like me.

peasaro wrote:
Shockazulu wrote:

-Shocka

When mine was return for repair; I had an email within 24 hours of what to do and where to return it.  Although, at first they wanted me to send it to the USA Repair Depot at my expense.  After talking with the support manager, he informed me that if I live in Canada then I should send it to the repair depot near Toronto as it would be quicker.  Also, he was kind enough to pay for shipping as he knew that it was Parrots fault and they should be paying (or maybe he didn't want the hassle that I was going to give him if they did not pay for shipping).  I received it back or a replacement drone back(??) within a week and it was fixed but now it had two ARDrone v1.0 motors and it did not fly worth a shoit!!!  I replaced these with V2 motors from another ARDrone v2 that I own and it ran fine.  Since then I called Tech. Support and they sent me two brand new v2 motors and they came within 48 hours.

So, if you live Canada make sure they give you the address for the Canadian Repair Depot and send it there as it will be quicker and hopefully it will not come back fixed with v1 motors like me.

So they equipped your 2.0 drone with 1.0 motors and as a result you weren't able to fly your vehicle??  Wow, I mean, I'd think they'd at least test hover the damned thing before they sent it back to you.  I'll report my results once I get my drone back.  Still waiting on a reply to the email info I sent.

Shockazulu wrote:

So they equipped your 2.0 drone with 1.0 motors and as a result you weren't able to fly your vehicle??  Wow, I mean, I'd think they'd at least test hover the damned thing before they sent it back to you.  I'll report my results once I get my drone back.  Still waiting on a reply to the email info I sent.

I could barely fly it and it was very unstable.  For instance, I would get the famous "TOO MUCH ANGLE EMERGENCY" message which results with all motors shutting off and the drone falling to the ground (I really would like to be able to disable this silly feature if you can really call it that...the feature really is that Parrot sells a lot of repair parts and makes more $$).  Oh, and another thing while testing all this of course a few gears and shafts where damaged.  They said they would send me some with the new motors but they didn't so I had to go buy them as I could not be bothered to call etc... for $20.

I just joned the club, one motor not working anymore and little white "crater" on one mosfet...

Two months of life.

Viaggiatore wrote:

I just joned the club, one motor not working anymore and little white "crater" on one mosfet...

Two months of life.

I had my Drone exchanged right away! This one has motor hardware rev 6, I hope they fixed this mosfet thing!
G.

86 (edited by sir4u 08-26-2012 09:03:44)

So, I want to determine once and for all what the heck is going on with these motors. Is it a bad batch of FET's? Is it insufficient heatsinking? Is it a firmware issue? Is it a gate drive issue? This is what I'm going to find out but I need some help to do so. If you have fried a motor please answer the following questions to help me in finding a solution!

SRTTUNER      - Nick Chestnut

Perfect and usefull topic and a lot of ppl has this problem.
I stil fly with a learning  curve, but what I never did is the Flip and I shall also never going do this, first I don't like it, but when I see the video's then its a abnormale movement from the Drone, what is going one with the motors..? maybe the questionlist must have also: Did you ever make a flip?: never sometimes or often? and the battery question is indeed a good question. Ofcourse the Drone must be able to do this but I don't trust this movement.

Happy landing....
Drone 2.0 | ARDrone Flight | FirmWare 2.2.60 | Motors; Type: 1.1 HW 5.1 SW 1.43
Asus Infinity 700, Android 4.0 | I-pad 1 | WiFi Extender: TP-Link TL-WA830RE

Nearly all other quads including the cheap V929 can do a flip with no adverse effect to the motors and/or ESCs.
So I don't think flipping has anything to do with fried motors.  It's probably bad FETs or bad FET firmware. Either way, Parrot needs to fix it permanently.

DJI Phantom | DJI F330 | NAZA M V1 | NAZA M Lite