1 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 03-26-2013 13:18:30)

Topic: FIX YOUR PROPS... this thread will get you flying right!!!!

i got the home remedy for those props that come warped in the pastic flatpacks from parrot...
Even if you have a brand new drone straight out of the box and you are seeing some of the problems below... it probly sat in the back if a hot freight truck too long and the props sag... also seems to work on performance props from VGE

The following fix can solve the following problems:
*limited battery time (short flight times)
*video "jello" effect
*instability
*wandering .. unable to hold steady position at 1 meter altitude
*altitude drops every ten seconds like the motors cut out for a split second
*WON'T CLIMB/NO LIFT
*won't lift heavier batteries keeps bouncing off the ground
*severe altitude drop when coming to a stop from forward flight (won't solve it... makes it better)
*severe altitude drop after flip

i'll try to explain as best i can

first thing to check is the curve of the blade.. it needs the curve out at the tip, where the blade speed is fastest, to provide lift.. just like a plane wing
it should look like this
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/1341233025-picsay.jpg
if it's flat... you can get the curve back by strapping to a curved surface and heating with a blowdryer on high heat and let cool... just worry about then last inch of blade or so... that larger inner surface "paddles" the air for lift... it works different....  a D size Mag-Lite flashlight is the perfect curve... or a 1.5 inch outside diameter pipe... like this
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/20120702-103642.jpg

then you wanna get the bow out of the blade and get the pitch right... if your new blades are bowed like this.. you can still get it straight
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/20120702-104008.jpg

you need a ruler and some clothes pins and rig yourself up something like this here
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-02_08-37-55_58.jpg
two clothespins on each end of the bade... one out at the tip and one about half way to take out the hump in the middle
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-02_08-38-08_321.jpg
right on the leading edge of the blade
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-02_08-36-53_576.jpg

you only wanna pin down the leading edge of the blade where it slices into the air... if you pin down to far into the blade you will ruin the curve and lessen the pitch... if you just catch that front edge under the clothespin the back edge will pitch up and the angle of attack will take care of itself
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/1341233218-picsay.jpg

get it all pinned down and heat it up with a blowdryer on high heat for 3 to 5 minutes... let it cool to room temp and do it again... you might have to do it a few times to get the plastic to relax in this "good" position... but it works ya'll... i got three sets of blades fixed this way and i'm three for three... it's not like it ain't working on some of them... it even worked on the VGE performance blades... they fly good... they lift heavy batteries no problem... and the "drop altitude every ten seconds" problem goes away... and i had one REALLY BAD set that wouldn't even get 6 inches off the ground... they fly perfect now... PERFECT!!

then just balance them to get rid of vibration and your all new again!!!

Update: ......the next level.....

Idea from GadgetWarlock

Get a longer ruler... put a bow in the ruler to actually curve the props past straight... heat them for a lot less time... when they snap back they end up just right... and you can do two at a time... nice
http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj610/GadgetWarlock/IMG_5123.jpg

See his detailed description in comment 34 of this thread, page two...

UPDATE: .....the final level.....

This is for when you order new sets of props ahead of time.... make yourself some little jig clamps like these and clamp in your new props in place... leave them in the trunk of your car for a few days to go through a few heat cycles... then leave them in the clamps until needed...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-12_10-28-29_650.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-12_10-30-28_784.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-12_10-28-59_109.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/b00mb00mchuck411/2012-07-12_10-29-30_246.jpg

See the entire thread here

http://forum.parrot.com/ardrone/en/view … hp?id=5059

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

Re: FIX YOUR PROPS... this thread will get you flying right!!!!

can this please be a sticky and maybe lock the topic (after deleting my post) please Parrot?? Chuck you are such a legend  wink  just tried it on a set i had and it does work.  smile

www.droneshop.co.uk
Official Parrot AR. Drone Reseller for all genuine spares and upgrades.

www.ardroneownersclub.co.uk

Nice tutorial Chuck!

When heating twith a blowdryer, how far should the nozzle of the blowdryer be from the blade to prevent possible melting?

DJI Phantom | DJI F330 | NAZA M V1 | NAZA M Lite

i got my nozzle right on the damn thing... like 1/2 inch away... and didn't see any melting problems at all... that's kinda why i'm recomending "blowdryer" instead of "heat gun"... i'm thinking "if it dont burn the hair off my wifes head... then it probly won't melt a prop"

but then again... everybodies blow dryers are different too so... i'd say better to do it three times than to do it too much the first time and melt something  big_smile

Ok got it.

So I'll just do it from 1 inch away to be safe.

Also, you need to move the nozzle throughout the entire length of the prop while heating it for 3-5 mins right?

Yessir... the ends of the blades are thin so they heat quicker... give it good long heating in the middle around the shafts where all the thick stuff is... helps relax that area so it doesn't spring back when you take the pins off

Ok will give your method a try when my new props arrive next week. Hopefully I don't melt the damn things! smile

Just go easy... these blades won't even start getting soft untill up over 120°f... i think it would be tuff to actually melt something... and try fly your new blades first... you might get one of miracle sets that actually work... happened to me twice

Dude, if this will actually make my Drone stop that altitude drop every 10 seconds I may likely feel the need to kiss you!  lol

Seriously though, thanks for figuring this out! I'm hoping it will fix my issue!

- Nick Chestnut

Have a great day everyone!

You gadda take me out to dinner first...   lol

droneshop wrote:

can this please be a sticky and maybe lock the topic (after deleting my post) please Parrot?? Chuck you are such a legend  wink  just tried it on a set i had and it does work.  smile

Hey man... could you explain this legend thing to my wife... she still thinks im fussin around with a stupid styrofoam toy... roll

12 (edited by droneshop 07-03-2012 07:18:38)

b00mb00mchuck wrote:
droneshop wrote:

Hey man... could you explain this legend thing to my wife... she still thinks im fussin around with a stupid styrofoam toy... roll

Definitely not just a Styrofoam toy  big_smile 
Legend how we say it over here in the UK is for people we feel are intelligent and extremely helpful let alone the wiki description for the word. If there was a smiley thingy for that word, it would be one bowing.
I say your a Legend because if it wasn't for you on here we would still be moaning about ruined brand new props. Plus every single post of yours on this forum and other forums is nothing but helpful.... as said on some other posts a hero. 
Chuck you must not forget you have a wife  wink  lol
Im surprised as mine puts her foot down and stops the drones coming out full stop sometimes at the weekend.... my kids keep me busy too. I must remember to get them all a drone each then we can all go out and fly together  lol   cool 

SrtTuner
Try it mate it makes a huge difference. If i get time ive got another dodgy set so i will take video of before and after.

www.droneshop.co.uk
Official Parrot AR. Drone Reseller for all genuine spares and upgrades.

www.ardroneownersclub.co.uk

Well well, I'll be damned! This actually appears to have fixed the damn micro drop issue! I noticed it happen a couple times in my last flight but it is substantially improved!

I bought a new set of blades (which were terrible when I first bought them as usual) to test this mod and when compared to my old blades the pitch has actually increased. So in my case, the mirco drop issue actually was occurring due to low pitch and/or bent props.

'Boomchuck, you were right about the damn props causing this! But you were wrong that it was because the props had too much pitch... Better 'fess up now buddy! If not we're gonna hunt you down!  tongue   lol   roll Just messin' wit ya!

Thank you so very much for figuring this out man! Take care!  smile

- Nick Chestnut

14 (edited by b00mb00mchuck 07-03-2012 16:49:53)

My assumption of "too much pitch" back in those posts was due to the words "performance props" i assumed since they were "performance" then they were more aggressive... turned out to not be the case... i actually admitted that in another thread but i can't find it... so then the next thing i went after was weight... the performance props are quite a bit heavier and inconsistently so... that turned out to be a dead end too... heavy props will fly ok

So this straightening method was three weekends of experimenting just to figure out it was way the hell easier than i thought it would be... turned out pretty cool though... i had what i thought were good props but they would do the drop dance with a heavy battery... now i can fly whatever battery size and whatever hull with no problems

Will have to try the straightening method. Meanwhile I have obtained a 2nd Drone from a freind who's wife did not share his enthusiasm for his new hobby. I will use this till I get my original in good trim.

16 (edited by SrtTuner 07-04-2012 02:46:33)

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

My assumption of "too much pitch" back in those posts was due to the words "performance props" i assumed since they were "performance" then they were more aggressive... turned out to not be the case... i actually admitted that in another thread but i can't find it... so then the next thing i went after was weight... the performance props are quite a bit heavier and inconsistently so... that turned out to be a dead end too... heavy props will fly ok

So this straightening method was three weekends of experimenting just to figure out it was way the hell easier than i thought it would be... turned out pretty cool though... i had what i thought were good props but they would do the drop dance with a heavy battery... now i can fly whatever battery size and whatever hull with no problems

No worries man! I was just busting your chops... I'm honestly just glad that you figured it out! Mad props goes out to you for this one. Good work!

You know, if "performance" props don't have more pitch then what makes them "performance"?

- Nick Chestnut

Thanks Nick... i know you were just bustin on me... but i ain't scared to admit i had it wrong like three times..  hmm ... there are no wrongs in trail and error... just ways of eliminating variables to lock down the right answer

Yeah... that sounds legit

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

Thanks Nick... i know you were just bustin on me... but i ain't scared to admit i had it wrong like three times..  hmm ... there are no wrongs in trail and error... just ways of eliminating variables to lock down the right answer

Yeah... that sounds legit

Very true my friend. Very true... That's why they call it trial and error. Honestly, we should be thankful for the error part otherwise we would never learn anything!

- Nick Chestnut

19 (edited by Apparition 07-04-2012 14:21:28)

Great Post Chuck!

It goes to Drone history straight on!

I can see you are VERY creative!   Great to have you here, with so much enthusiasm!

Question:   Does your wife get upset by you playng with the hair blower?     mad

Mine does!   

And she says:   "If you want to snatch the blower motor for your flying foam thing, you're mistaken man!  sad  neutral  smile  big_smile  lol

20 (edited by Geezer 07-04-2012 15:49:01)

That fix is a no-brainer. I am glad you came up with it, Chuck. It is how guitars are made using metal forms and heat (I took a recent tour of the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth, PA and saw this technique up close and personal). Doing it this way and clamping the props in the original shape for at least overnight so memory doesn't become a factor, is the way to go. It is just a shame that Parrot does not use a type of plastic that is warp resistant and tends to snap back into shape on its own (like modern car bodies). Perhaps the addition of some carbon fibre would do the trick.

Or get these things manufactured by Rubbemaid™ and show somebody how to ship them properly

Inspecting my original Drone 2.0 props today, I notice that they do not appear to have any imprinting on them whatsoever, vs. the props I got from an eBay seller that are imprinted with AD9 and AD9R on them (two each of course). I'd thought these replacement props, which were bagged with a label "Parrot AR.Drone Replacement Propellers (4) ARDPROP" were original Parrot props, but maybe they are 3rd party? Not that it matters much--I am only curious.

They were shipped in a bubblewrap bag USPS, and don't seem to be any more out-of-shape than my originals, but I'm curious as to whether any 3rd party is making these, or only Parrot.

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

Hiflyer wrote:

Inspecting my original Drone 2.0 props today, I notice that they do not appear to have any imprinting on them whatsoever, vs. the props I got from an eBay seller that are imprinted with AD9 and AD9R on them (two each of course). I'd thought these replacement props, which were bagged with a label "Parrot AR.Drone Replacement Propellers (4) ARDPROP" were original Parrot props, but maybe they are 3rd party? Not that it matters much--I am only curious.

They were shipped in a bubblewrap bag USPS, and don't seem to be any more out-of-shape than my originals, but I'm curious as to whether any 3rd party is making these, or only Parrot.

I'd be willing to bet that they are 3rd party. Probably always have been and they just changed manufacturers...

- Nick Chestnut

The props with the AD9 and AD9R markings are VGE performance props... try bending them... they are stiffer.... the markings on the original props are underneath really close to the center shaft...

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

The props with the AD9 and AD9R markings are VGE performance props... try bending them... they are stiffer.... the markings on the original props are underneath really close to the center shaft...

Now that you mention it, they do seem different from the original props. Thanks bbc, I will have to go out and crash mine so I can try these out!  lol

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1