1 (edited by [RCG]Balthazar 10-20-2012 10:39:53)

Topic: AR Drone 3.0 Wish List

Hi everybody!
I've been hanging around here for a while, and finally registered a couple weeks ago as this
seems to be a great place with at least some connection to the folks at Parrot.

Severly bitten by the Drone Bug, I ordered a spare drone and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Parrot can not and should not make a new model every year,
but they should listen to this community when the time to do so is here.

So heres my Wish List for the next model:
(I'll edit in other suggestions later if wanted)

1. The ability to downgrade / roll back / overwrite soft/firm ware.
(not everyone can afford or wants a new phone/pad to get this working)

2. Power Switch
(To turn it on/off without disconnecting the battery)
2.1 In-app shutdown switch to reduce electrical damage.

3. GPS
(So you have an idea of where to look for it when its gone)

3.1 Navigation (By TZZDC1241)
(Professional like features like return home, nav points, stay in one spot via GPS)

4.Rewire the USB-connector or use a MicroSD slot.
(Compatible USB-sticks seems to be a pain, I've tried four allready)

5. User profiles (By HessuR)
(Save profiles for various purposes like filming, lending it to kids, friends)

6. Tilting and zooming functions (By username2620)

1.5 x AR Drone 2.0
Samsung Galaxy Note (Phone)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Re: AR Drone 3.0 Wish List

who knows if it will be an ar drone 3.0?
as they have teamed up with sensefly it could possibly be a uav  sad

www.droneshop.co.uk
Official Parrot AR. Drone Reseller for all genuine spares and upgrades.

www.ardroneownersclub.co.uk

im feeling the microsd slot ;-) much needed.

www.droneshop.co.uk
Official Parrot AR. Drone Reseller for all genuine spares and upgrades.

www.ardroneownersclub.co.uk

droneshop wrote:

who knows if it will be an ar drone 3.0?

Lets get enough people hooked so they earn too much to stop  cool

Sensefly?
Aint that more like an air plane long distance whole different animal?

Hope thats in addition to the awesomness og indoor/close range fun on quadding.

1.5 x AR Drone 2.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

I would add to the list different profiles so that when I want to start recording video I could select a profile X with smoother movements.

Yea I can see that one! This would also be useful when you switch users like your kids or friend.
Might simply be an easy app update though.

1.5 x AR Drone 2.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

I'm with the OP.

1. The ability to upgrade/downgrade and possibly for developers (possibly certified by parrot) to modify/improve firmware or enable special/customized features or tricks. Especially the ability in app to downgrade firmware.

2. Power switch. Just for safety while handling the thing and removing a hull to get to the battery.

3. GPS addon. Would be cool if its included but professional like features like return home, nav points, stay in one spot via GPS would be KILLER.

username2620 wrote:

i would like to see tilting and zooming functions added to the camera

This will add cost, weight and complexity to the drone.
2 servos, movable camera mount and a pile of programming bringing prize up and flight time down.
Maybe some simple tilt and digital zoom?

TZZDC1241 wrote:

I'm with the OP.
1. The ability to upgrade/downgrade and possibly for developers (possibly certified by parrot) to modify/improve firmware or enable special/customized features or tricks. Especially the ability in app to downgrade firmware.
2. Power switch. Just for safety while handling the thing and removing a hull to get to the battery.
3. GPS addon. Would be cool if its included but professional like features like return home, nav points, stay in one spot via GPS would be KILLER.

More or less allready covered in the list.
Users advanced enough to rewrite / modify firmware will never have any problems getting it into their drones.
Would be awesome to have an easy in-app way to downgrade for us regular users,
as it seems to have fixed quite a few problems for others.

If we can get a GPS in there, the App Makers are able to do all sorts of amazing stuff!

1.5 x AR Drone 2.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

I think if I had to put together a wet dream list it would be that every part of it is upgradable and customizable. Stronger motors, higher mAh battery packs, different frames, props, you name it. Open source the firmware and not just the API, GPS addons which we've all touched on. Add the posibility of having a real radio control vs the iPhone, etc.

People can always get the AR Drone 3.0 thats controlled by the iPhone with everything stock, could start upgrading and tinkering as they go along and in the end Parrot makes more money.

In-app shutdown switch to reduce electrical damage. Too see why click the pic  wink
http://vadata.tv/Fpics/9_AR.Drone%202.0%20Tempting_water.jpg

1.5 x AR Drone 2.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Record audio from the control device's mic (like drone ace) or from a mic installed on the drone...

The GPS tracker to allow finding your drone will be nice and i assume very possible judging from the amount of cheap tracking small gadgets on ebay.

The bottom facing camera upgraded to HD too.

USB replaced with a micro Sd card will both save weight and make it more practical.

A power switch or power cut button from the controls as said above will be good.

A cover from the gears and motor pinon to protect it from dirt and stuff that chew away at the gears

Audio on the drone itself for me is not important as the wind effect and propeller noise will make it useless anyway.

A smother AR drone academy app that does not keep crashing.

benchmark wrote:

The GPS tracker to allow finding your drone will be nice and i assume very possible judging from the amount of cheap tracking small gadgets on ebay.

The bottom facing camera upgraded to HD too.

USB replaced with a micro Sd card will both save weight and make it more practical.

A power switch or power cut button from the controls as said above will be good.

A cover from the gears and motor pinon to protect it from dirt and stuff that chew away at the gears

Audio on the drone itself for me is not important as the wind effect and propeller noise will make it useless anyway.

A smother AR drone academy app that does not keep crashing.

GPS: yes

Cameras: both HD, correctly focused and of good quality and with night vision.

Change USB to micro SD in order to save weight: why not ask for more powerful motors that could give the drone the ability to carry things  or withstang stronger winds?

Covers for gears etc.: yes, or the propellers directly mounted on the motor shaft like in other quads.

Audio: i prefer the wind and propeller noises to a silent movie (thougt the times of silent movies were long gone). And i know that and we can always replace the silence or the wind and propeller noises with some music.

Smoother AR.Drone Academy: Parrot is working on it... and on the Android version... and on the many other issues... and I hope that God listens to you...

Forgot this one:

benchmark wrote:

I use 2 tricks: quit the control app and/or turn the drone sideways. This way it won't start.

Or, if the drone is hovering at 1 meter above the ground, you lost control and couldn´t regain control over it: simply grab it by the nose and turn it sideways...  big_smile

I am new here and contemplating purchasing my first AR Drone 2.0. After investigating the options it looks like its a great device but with some limiting factors.

I would like to see the below in the Drone V3.0 if it is in fact released.

1. Both cameras 1080p HD saving to MicroSD device. Down scaled if streaming to handheld device an option.
2. MicroSD port. USB 3.0. Samba file sharing over WiFi.
3. Easy plug in replacement of superior upgrade parts, like uprated battery, better motors/gears etc.
4. 2.4GHz communication plug in for controlling the device from a professional hand held controller. Not a replacement for Wifi but an option one can purchase.
5. GPS location, sharing of location to other allowed users in vicinity?
6. SSH access to drone through WiFi (I am unsure if this is already available as above, I have not yet hat the chance to purchase one)
7. Open firmware sounds like a great idea. Community projects should be encouraged to push the envelope of what the drone is capable of.
8. Awareness of other drones in vicinity, Friend or Foe for games?

Can the current USB port be used for anything other than plugging in an external USB Flash Drive?

I think the only hope for 3.0 to be good, is to be made by another company.

Hello, I wait for a new version to get better camera. I don't care much of resolution. It was already enough, but I do wish the recorded movie was less wobbly (some kind of stabilizer would be nice? And/or a different kind of sweep) and had better color. Until then, it is not going to impress many of my friends, and is not a big fun to watch the recordings. Cheers.

#1. Ball bearings
#2. Easier firmware rollback
#3. Better Android update support
#4. Lose the magnets for attaching the hull. They are heavy and the same thing can be accomplished with Velcro.
#5. Return to sender. GPS may not be needed standard, if the Drone would simply fly back in the initial direction of the last good signal, when it loses communication.
#6. A better battery, such as one at 1300mAh
#7. A better WiFi antenna

All good suggestions. I'd like to also add:

1. External antenna option/upgradable antenna for different applications height vs distance etc.
2. Bit more horsepower, plenty of quadcopters out there with way more performance.
3. Inbuilt LED headlight and tail light to make the drone easier to see at distance.
4. Moveable FPV camera, switch to the back or on top or different angle at the front.
5. Button to "half the flight controls" to switch to smooth flight mode but switch back if things get hairy.
6. Better Wifi period!

I like your ideas.  What I'd like to see is a shock absorbing central cross.  Or at least solidify the plastic frame at the strut intersection so the more material is present in the coomon shear planes.  The present design has a line of perforations in the structue that acts like a dotted fault line which concentrates the stress there to almost ensure a fracture that would far less likely without those holes.  The weight involved is virtually nil.

Do the right thing Parrot, say no to failure by design.

Port22, you cant ssh in by default, but you can telnet in at 192.168.1.1 and from there possibly install a common linux ssh package.

Really hope the parrot development team reads this: Ar drone are very common used with Gopro camras. All gopro camras has a video out jack. Which is regular video out (2 leads). When filming with a gopro camera. I do not care about the onboard cameras. Because I'm flying only because I want to see what the gopro see while taking aereal photos. There is a USB slot present at the V.2.0. If there was a physical switch. So I could select away the front camera, and switch it to what ever camera attached (for example a gopro camera). It would make this much easier. As a engineer, this seems easy to do. Because 'll bet the already video module has a circuit out with a vide signal that easily can be switched over to whatever video signal. of course you loss the option to save video to a memory stick onboard. But with a gopro camera,you are recording to its own SD card anyway.

Also: add camera attachment mods for gopro, compact camera etc. So people do not make this by them selves. Or people are making their own money making this mods you do not got, and selling them aftermarket.

For the same reason: Please make a SMA socket in the back or the drone, if you waqnt to mount an external antenna at yor own risk.
Also add something to protect the most fragile part of the drone: the gears. A lot of people are making and selling gears protectors. This might reduce your aftermarket sale of new gears. But it gives the drone a better reputation, and you will sell more of the complete drones.

Please launch a Windows program, or make it easiest as possible for home-developers to make unofficial programmers to develop programs to use with the drone. Open source and a lot of official and unofficial programs makes the drone more interresting and will expand the sales of the drone.

You did make a special pattern on the drone, to be recognited by other drones to make programs where they discover each others and can follow or attack each others. Please make a pattern (mayde a helipad sign or something similar), that can be discovered by the underneath camera. After it is being recognised (with a green rectangle or something). You can select it, and the drone will use it for the landing program to do it best to land there.

If it does not make the drone too expensive. Install a GPS module. So you in flight, or after a flight. Can see the path or where it did fly on google earth. At least, install a buzzer. So you can activate that if the drone where missing in deep snow (like mine did, and never been seen again). So I can track my lost drone for the search party afterwards. A little beep would do everything for that drone I'll never see again before spring.

The print board underneat each rotors, shuld have been protected somehow. To protect them for mousture. Such as rain, snow etc. Some moisture there to kame it short circuit. Makes all of the proppelers to stop, and the drone falls to its death. The easiest and most simple way, is just to coat it with some clearcoat. For 10cent. Your PCB supplier will do this for you.

A lot of people are customising their drones with their own design. If you make a vary of your own. Like the NASA custon, redbull, army, desert, fibre etc. etc. (google it). You'll earn more on your aftermarket sales.

What I would like to see as a feature for version 3.0 is a transceiver-style Wi-Fi antenna, which would not only allow the drone to create its own Wi-Fi hotspot, but also allow it to be able to connect to an existing Wi-Fi hotspot, which is a feature many smartphones have. This feature would be great if your flying area has a lot of Wi-Fi signal replicators to extend your control range. Also update the software to be able to instantly switch between hotspots (kind of like frequency hopping, if you will). Or, maybe include the ability to control the drone when it is connected to one Wi-Fi hotspot, while your phone or tablet is connected to a different hotspot. These are definitely features I'd love to see you guys incorporate into the A.R. Drone version 3.0.

While you're at it, why not tweak the flight control apps to allow pilots to improvise their own aerial maneuvers, instead of just hitting a virtual button to execute the quadrotor equivalent of an aileron roll? Why not give pilots the ability to, for example, pull back sharply on the virtual joystick or tilt the device backwards (depending on how they have the controls set up) to execute a backflip? And of course, include an onscreen virtual button to switch between stunt flying and normal flying.