Topic: "Too Much Angle Emergency" on startup

My drone worked great for 2 days. But today after I connect the battery, it started up then went immediately to emergency mode saying "Too Much Angle Emergency". I tried the flat trim button, restart, and reset but they didn't work.

It was on firmware 2.1.20. Tried upgrading to 2.2.3, the same problem.

I ended up with downgrading it to 2.1.16 and the drone worked fine.

Upgrading again to 2.1.20 and 2.2.3 gives the same result.

It doesn't to seem the gyroscope or compass issue as I could use it with 2.1.16, but more like a calibration problem.

Any idea to reset/fix?

Re: "Too Much Angle Emergency" on startup

After you downgraded to 2.1.16, did you upgrade directly to 2.2.3 or did you update to 2.1.20 first?
If its the latter, try to update directly from 2.1.16 to 2.2.3

DJI Phantom | DJI F330 | NAZA M V1 | NAZA M Lite

natscape wrote:

After you downgraded to 2.1.16, did you upgrade directly to 2.2.3 or did you update to 2.1.20 first?
If its the latter, try to update directly from 2.1.16 to 2.2.3

Tried both.
2.1.16 - 2.1.20 - 2.2.3
2.1.16 - 2.2.3

After upgrade it went straight to emergency mode on both 2.1.20 and 2.2.3

4 (edited by chet8905 08-01-2012 16:22:20)

cnnn wrote:

My drone worked great for 2 days. But today after I connect the battery, it started up then went immediately to emergency mode saying "Too Much Angle Emergency". I tried the flat trim button, restart, and reset but they didn't work.

It doesn't to seem the gyroscope or compass issue as I could use it with 2.1.16, but more like a calibration problem.

Any idea to reset/fix?

I've been having the same problem but (I'm not sure because I'm new) I had the same problem in 2.1.16.

cnnn wrote:

Any idea to reset/fix?

If you have Drone Control you can try to "Force Flat Trim".  Also when you connect your battery is the drone flat and level?  Last guess is have you tried the reset button?

iPhone 4 IOS 6
Firmware 2.1.12 and never going to change...EVER

mp_dude45 wrote:
cnnn wrote:

Any idea to reset/fix?

If you have Drone Control you can try to "Force Flat Trim".  Also when you connect your battery is the drone flat and level?  Last guess is have you tried the reset button?

It's on flat ground when I connected the battery.
The reset button on mine seems to be just a very deep hole. Got to find a long stick. (Is it normal???)

I'll try the force flat trim with drone ctrl.

Yes the reset button position is normal (deep hole near battery compartment) .  Use a tooth pick or something else that is non-conductive to be safe and hold for 3-10 seconds and wait for the reset sequence.  If all else fails stay with 2.1.16, it seems to be one of the most stabe firmware versions.  I'm still waiting for good reviews on the new firmware before trying the update.

iPhone 4 IOS 6
Firmware 2.1.12 and never going to change...EVER

I ran the ardrone_navigation program on linux and saw the Theta(Pitch) kept decreasing all the time. When I clicked "Flat Trim" it fell back to  -20 but then gradually decrease to -89. The Phi(Roll) did not have this problem.

Now even on 2.1.16, even though it would not go straight to emergency mode, the drone could not stabilize itself after taking off. It either do a flip and stop or fly towards one direction immediately after start, which is DANGEROUS!

I just got it for less than a week and flew it twice. Can I get a replacement???

Looks like a problem with the nav board (gyro).
Open a support ticket with Parrot.

Good luck!

DJI Phantom | DJI F330 | NAZA M V1 | NAZA M Lite

Received Parrot AR today. On third flight, at 25 ft AGL, the drone tumbled and fell to the ground, breaking a strut and destroying a motor. The display said "Too much angle emergency". This would seem to be a firmware bug - that cost me nearly $100 after 25 minutes of use. I'm very not impressed so far.

Got mine exchanged (still waiting for it to ship). I'm generally happy with the first two day of flight and the after sales service. But I really wish future firmware would be more stable.

You got your wish... the 2.2.6 firmware that came out this morning seems to be the best so far... really loving my drone today big_smile

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here