Topic: Interupted update. Now wont start.

Hey, got my AR drone 2.0 yesterday.  today i tried to update my drone from the FreeFLight app on my android phone.  It transfered the update to my drone and installed it. After about 10seconds i moved my drone but the battery wasnt properly connected so it lost power. All the "motor led's" were constantly red before that. 
When i connected the battery again all the motor led's become red for 3 seconds then turn off.   the led under my drone become red (0.5seconds) and then at the same time as the motor led's turn off i see a very short orange flash from the mainboard led. After that nothing.  cant connect wifi.  reset button doesent do shit(tried with/without battery connected. tried holding for few seconds. nothing. I guess that i interupted the update process.  But i thought that the reset button would fix that. 
i dont know what to do now. I hope someone can tell me what the led lights mean (motor led are red for 3 seconds then nothing. The mainboard led is red for 0.5seconds. Short orange flash before dark. 

My free flight version is 2.0.5  the drone update i dont know.  But i updated today so im guessing its the latest wink
Can i update without wifi? Can i force the drone to reset somehow?

PS i had a USB memory stick connected when i did the update.  I read somewhere that i shouldnt have. 

Pls help. smile

Re: Interupted update. Now wont start.

When you tried to update, FreeFlight would have warned you to "disconnect USB device" before proceeding further. But no doubt the battery disconnect resulted in a bad flash (how could that possibly happen?).

You'll have to call Parrot and arrange to have it replaced.

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

FreeFlight 2.0.5 is Android... we have no USB warning when pressing the update button... Parrot has been too busy working on an Apple firmware version for a phone that isn't even out yet to give a $hit about it's Android customers roll

Your gonna have to send your drone to parrot and have the main board reflashed sad

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

b00mb00mchuck wrote:

FreeFlight 2.0.5 is Android... we have no USB warning when pressing the update button...

Didn't know that. Still, I'm sure the OP's problem was with the battery not being properly snapped-in to its connector.

AR.Drone 2.0 FW 2.2.3
iPad 1stGen WiFi-only iOS 5.1.1

Agreed... you can't interrupt an update... on anything... ever

And because the drone is only updated on WiFi... there's no way around it now... gadda send it in sad

1.4mile (2.25kilometer) World Record AR.Drone 2.0 long range flight
December 16th 2012.................YouTube Link here

Yes, the connector wasnt properly "snapped-in" so thats my fault big_smile     I hate mysel now hehe. I only flew it twice then i killed it sad     
Thx for your replies. I will send it in to get it reflashed.

Hi Wermland,

Did you wait for a long time ? I mean, it happens the update part is very long. But you should not be able to destroy drone by interrupting the update.

Could you give it a try without the USB key ?

Regards

AR.Drone Team

I had this situation once and hat to press the reset button, then it worked again .... smile

Moral of the story, don't be ADD and impatient.

Hi Wermland,

Any news ?

AR.Drone Team

I think Parrot administrateur is right!

You cannot destroy the Drone by interrupting the update!

The BusyBox OS inside is NEVER updated.  It is NOT touched by the update process.  It is only the flight software which is replaced on updates.
So...
Be sure you have  well charged battery.  Plug it in and leave your Drone alone after pressing the reset switch for 5 long seconds!

Then go, have coffee.  Go to the movies.  Do whatever so as not to get impatient!

When you comeback your Drone will be WiFi enabled again!  (Unless you are gone for too long and the the battery is dead)

Anyway, once this is done, charge your battery again and perform a downgrade process as described in some threads here.  Get back to 2.1.16

I forgot:    Cross you fingers all this time!

Apparition wrote:

The BusyBox OS inside is NEVER updated.  It is NOT touched by the update process.  It is only the flight software which is replaced on updates.
So...
Be sure you have  well charged battery.  Plug it in and leave your Drone alone after pressing the reset switch for 5 long seconds!

Then go, have coffee.  Go to the movies.  Do whatever so as not to get impatient!

When you comeback your Drone will be WiFi enabled again!  (Unless you are gone for too long and the the battery is dead)

Anyway, once this is done, charge your battery again and perform a downgrade process as described in some threads here.  Get back to 2.1.16

I hope firmware and software predictability isn't about luck when it should be about being
informed at the outset and then following carefully explained procedures.

We havn't heard a reply about your recommendations so here i am with the outcome of an
interrupted update using an android tablet. It was an unintended update and the screen
gave no prompts to proceed... In this world of twitchy touch screens we've got to have better
control over these important matters.. The progress of my update stopped and i had no clue
what was involved because the manual give no info... I was hoping to learn about the update
settings and process by touching the app-box,,, not launch the process... Added to the mystery
was a text notice which overlayed other text and was illegible. It looked like instructions to rest
the wifi connection or restart the drone but now that makes no sense at all to me..
All that said,, i will get back to you with the outcome... I hope it goes well.   3d2c

An added detail for the problem mentioned in the previous post is that when the
update got started the machine was already innoperable with a non-functioning motor
which failed after an aborted take-off... The update may have stumbled over that
condition and the interuption may not have helped.
From parrot support i was told to attempt a reset with time-steps of 45/10/45 from battery
reconnect with 10 seconds being for the reset button, then a disconnect and reconnect of
the battery... Which didn't produce results.
In the ongoing attempt i've combined to two suggested reset steps..

Is there a more certain way to diagnose this and accomplish a reset,, how about direct
connection and evaluating the firmware?

I will come back with results as they develop.   3d2c

14 (edited by 3d-features 04-04-2013 07:42:11)

Here are the results from this evening attempt to solve the problem explained above.

No change to condition,,, with replacement motor in place and both methods tried and combined.

Below are The first instructions given by AR drone support.  I'd suspect that a factory process
might have a few more details which might include the assebmly link...  Correcting a corrupted
update should be no big deal if total access is provided to us field testers in consumer garb.    3d2c

Hello,
Here are the reset procedures.

1. Plug the battery into the drone and wait for all lights to go green or 45 seconds.
2. While the drone is on a flat and level surface, press and hold reset for 3 to 10 seconds then release the reset button.
3. Wait for all lights to go back to green or 45 seconds.
4. Unplug the battery and plug it right back in.
Wait for the lights to turn green and start the drone.

Thank you
Parrot support

15 (edited by Nitronaught 04-04-2013 15:11:30)

Apparition wrote:

So...

Not quite true,,, updates will actually change/update files on the drone itself, if you lose power during an update one of the files used in the /bin directory may now be corrupted.  The /bin directory is used during boot as well as other directories and files, if certain files are corrupted or have been deleted by the update yet the update never got to re-write those files,,, the drone is not going to boot.  It's basically a UNIX processor....
Also there are firmware updates that do update an EEPROM chip, during the process it wipes out the chip completely and then re-writes the programming, if this is EVER interrupted the EEPROM can not be accessed but can be placed onto a chip burner and re-programmed....

I spent What?

Nitronaught wrote:
Apparition wrote:

So...

Not quite true,,, updates will actually change/update files on the drone itself, if you lose power during an update one of the files used in the /bin directory may now be corrupted.  The /bin directory is used during boot as well as other directories and files, if certain files are corrupted or have been deleted by the update yet the update never got to re-write those files,,, the drone is not going to boot.  It's basically a UNIX processor....
Also there are firmware updates that do update an EEPROM chip, during the process it wipes out the chip completely and then re-writes the programming, if this is EVER interrupted the EEPROM can not be accessed but can be placed onto a chip burner and re-programmed....

This is greatly valuable information. And it gives me the impression that the early posts in this forum were
correct in saying that the motherboard had to be replaces. That is a solution as long as part swapping
does not open another bag of worms.

Does the manufacturer or anyone provide the ability to re-program the motherboard?  Thanks    3d2c

I see used Drones on Ebay once in a while, some with broken central crosses, or things you don't need.  Good thing to pick up for spares.... 

Still probably cheaper to buy a new board or Ebay a used one over sending it in to Parrot...  They would be the only ones who could "Flash" the EEPROM, and they might not be able to either, depends on who's building the main board componant really....  Chances are they too would just replace the main board though...  cool

I spent What?

Nitronaught wrote:

I see used Drones on Ebay once in a while, some with broken central crosses, or things you don't need.  Good thing to pick up for spares.... 

Still probably cheaper to buy a new board or Ebay a used one over sending it in to Parrot...  They would be the only ones who could "Flash" the EEPROM, and they might not be able to either, depends on who's building the main board componant really....  Chances are they too would just replace the main board though...  cool

Thanks so much for the details. I have a board on the way for central_us_drone_sales, a real helpful guy.

You can almost bet I won't buy another one of these ar drones. Manufactureer support and product
information is more than a goobertube video or two,, with no dialogue,,, and a manual that
almost repeats the obvious from the promos..
  I see bubbles bursting everywhere and unnecessary difficulties introduced
in the absence of competent technical documentation...

I'm tierd of wasting time and money in a pattern of technologically induced insanity
over stuff that is a fallback to the days of conusmer beware,,, it is all hype-n-swipe...   3d2c

HAve you tried to unplug the drone, while unplugged hold the RESET BUTTON then plug the battery in while the reset button is still down and hold it for an additional 10 seconds...  This is known as a "Hard Reset"...

When you are booting after this does each rotor turn about 1/8th a turn?  OR absolutely nothing?

As far as the owner manual, it states you must be careful not to lose power during a firmware update, and it also states not to have a Flash drive in the USB port....  I can't see how you can blame Parrot for that.....

Unplug any computer during a firmware update and you can render the motherboard useless.  Do you know why Apple I-Devices will not synch unless AC power is applied?  Same reason basically..... cool

I spent What?

Nitronaught wrote:

HAve you tried to unplug the drone, while unplugged hold the RESET BUTTON then plug the battery in while the reset button is still down and hold it for an additional 10 seconds...  This is known as a "Hard Reset"...

When you are booting after this does each rotor turn about 1/8th a turn?  OR absolutely nothing?

As far as the owner manual, it states you must be careful not to lose power during a firmware update, and it also states not to have a Flash drive in the USB port....  I can't see how you can blame Parrot for that.....

Unplug any computer during a firmware update and you can render the motherboard useless.  Do you know why Apple I-Devices will not synch unless AC power is applied?  Same reason basically..... cool

Thanks for the explanation, i gave it a try several times and it produced no change, a statue light blink red at 20 sec. intrvl.

I did not see any mention of updates in the manual, which is identified as a user quick start guide and i found non on their site..
If there is another manual that i didn;t get, please explain since i was told this was a complete unit.

Keep in mind that i did not want to do an update. And i saw no way to stop it. I believe it is unlikely to have been successful
since the machine already couldn't initialize. But it came upon me with no knowledge of where it was headed.
When i pressed the update box on the main screen of the touch pad i was expecting to enter an enviornment of choices
and explanations or preparative steps. I don't know what apple does with anything, but come on, lets get real about the
control device being a touch screen... That s like having catastrophe a thumbs-brush away... Important or condition-dependant
processes should have command safeguards.  The Android app is offered by Parrot so they inherit responsibility for
making sure it doesn't unleash sensitive processes without safeguards..  Their disclaimers are for the layers and if we need
layers to get thoughtfully produced products then we are in a sad state of affairs, professionally speaking...
We shouldn't be paying for surprises or for field testing their product.

I hope no one takes offense but now that i look at some of the comments about these, placed on amazon, the wide swing
of satisfaction and problems appears as red flags for something seriously amiss. I sincerely hope this is not the case because
i want these to work so that they set the stage for something bigger.   3d2c

21 (edited by 3d-features 04-09-2013 19:26:17)

Someone pointed to a manual which my the useful for an AR2.0.  It appears to be for an AR1.

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/media/upload … ide_uk.pdf

I don't know the difference but i do see that it still would not have answered my question
about how to avoid an untimely update. But it does say

MOTOR
EMERGENCY
Problem with one or more motors
Check the connections and state of the 4 motors.
>>>>Check if the latest update has been installed on the AR.Drone.
If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace one or more
motors.

I had a motor emergency,, 1 inop,,, now no wifi.

Going to the previous version for a manual never crossed my mind.

But had i seen this i might have tried an update but i've seen no precautionary
warnings or instructions about updates. 

I found some details in the startup video #1.  But that wasn't real detailed.
i didn't have that handy when i was looking for info on updates through
details contained in the app, a costly blunder of mine...     3d2c

In a gracious turn of events, Parrot has offered to take my drone in to try and resolve the problem.

Thanks for all the help !!!   3d2c

3d-features wrote:

In a gracious turn of events, Parrot has offered to take my drone in to try and resolve the problem.

Thanks for all the help !!!   3d2c

Good Stuff ... lets us know how it goes  cool

I have the same problem, but i did just like Parrot said:

- plugged charged battery and waited - ca 8 minutes staring at the drone and suddenly... (quoting Ace Ventura) - IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Luca wrote:

I have the same problem, but i did just like Parrot said:

- plugged charged battery and waited - ca 8 minutes staring at the drone and suddenly... (quoting Ace Ventura) - IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets review and compare notes to determine if we were dealing with the same problem.

I had one motor which failed and was not returning data, (zero data motor)
The drone would only initialize 3 motors and reported a "motor emergency" to control device.
The drone signified condition with steady red lights.
I allowed an update to begin when the drone was not at green light state of readiness.
At  the third stage of the update i was prompted to do something to finish the update, (illegible due to overlayed text)
      I thought it instructed me to re-start the wifi and the drone,,,,, WRONG,,, i think,,,,
      >>>I restarted the wifi and disconnected the battery to re-start the drone<<<<
In hind sight----- Re-starting the wifi and the APP should have been to ONLY steps taken. (no written instructions)

The resulting condition was no wifi and slow flashing red lights.

Now what set up your condition which was resolved by the reset steps?   3d2c