Topic: Extremely Unstable flight after upgrading to bearings (drone 2.0)

I bought 2 sets of BocaBearings 2x5x2.3 and upgraded the stock brass bushings.

However, now my drone won't even take off, it just immediately flies around and crashes while not even leaving the ground...

At best I can get it to get up in the air and it will erratically sway back and forth like a U about 1 foot off the ground until it crashes sad

I have tried various combinations of bearing / bushings, including putting just bearings on the tops, and then putting just bearings on the bottom.  It seems to me there is a give in the "sway" of the shaft when i use the bearings. 

When i hold the drone and look at the props spinning I can notice violent shaking and it creates the deformation look at the centers of the props (which is what i'm assuming causes the really bad flight).

Does anyone else have this issue?  and if so how did you fix it?

Mine flies perfectly with the stock bushings however i really don't like the noise - i loved the noise of the bearings minus the not being able to fly part.

These are the bearings:  http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv … -3-MR682ZZ

Thanks!

PS. on a side note, does anyone know of any higher quality, stronger shafts that will fit the ar drone 2.0?  I hate bending my shafts, and i probably went through 6 or 7 of them just trying to get my bearings to work (thank god for the indoor hull otherwise i would have probably broke just as many props)

Re: Extremely Unstable flight after upgrading to bearings (drone 2.0)

kensterx wrote:

I bought 2 sets of BocaBearings 2x5x2.3 and upgraded the stock brass bushings.

However, now my drone won't even take off, it just immediately flies around and crashes while not even leaving the ground...

At best I can get it to get up in the air and it will erratically sway back and forth like a U about 1 foot off the ground until it crashes sad

I have tried various combinations of bearing / bushings, including putting just bearings on the tops, and then putting just bearings on the bottom.  It seems to me there is a give in the "sway" of the shaft when i use the bearings. 

When i hold the drone and look at the props spinning I can notice violent shaking and it creates the deformation look at the centers of the props (which is what i'm assuming causes the really bad flight).

Does anyone else have this issue?  and if so how did you fix it?

Mine flies perfectly with the stock bushings however i really don't like the noise - i loved the noise of the bearings minus the not being able to fly part.

These are the bearings:  http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv … -3-MR682ZZ

Thanks!

PS. on a side note, does anyone know of any higher quality, stronger shafts that will fit the ar drone 2.0?  I hate bending my shafts, and i probably went through 6 or 7 of them just trying to get my bearings to work (thank god for the indoor hull otherwise i would have probably broke just as many props)

Did you put the blades in correct place, ive seen others doing it ???

Did you put the right blades back on in the correct order?

Why wouldn't you have ordered the bearings they sell specifically for the AR Drone?

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv … adricopter

http://www.Drone-Mods.com/ || info@drone-mods.com
Products to enhance your experience with the Parrot® AR.DRONE
Exclusive U.S. distributor of the DroneTec QuadMod (R/C control)

Yes. the blades are in the exact same positions they were when i opened it for the first time ( i did one blade a time and put it back on before moving to the next, as to not mix them up)

And those are the bearings i ordered, same model # same size, etc  I even got 2 sets in case one was faulty or i broke some
same result with any of the bearings.

Just to clarify, theres a "wobble" when the rotors are spinning, pretty certain this is why its so unstable and refuses to fly.  With the bushings its a straight as an arrow and I have 0 wobble

Too much room in the id of the bearing then can't be anything else making the shaft wobble

Kensterx, did you ever get this resolved?  I just got the same Boca Bearings in the mail today.  I'll put them on this week and let you know if I experience any of the same.

No luck, Im just sticking with my bushings cause my flight is really stable and i just keep them lubed. sad

i'd really like to use the bearings, so let me know how it goes, i might just need a different brand

kensterx wrote:

No luck, Im just sticking with my bushings cause my flight is really stable and i just keep them lubed. sad

i'd really like to use the bearings, so let me know how it goes, i might just need a different brand

I've got the Boca's in mine,,, I do not have any wobble... But they are not the same size as your original bushings, the bearings are slightly thicker/deeper by .3 mm. 
If you are getting wobble try pulling the shaft off and roll it on a flat surface to see if it's straight,,, if it's not, it will wobble...  The reason why it doesn't with the bushing is the shaft does not spin as much, the gear is spinning more on the shaft, so ,,,, no wobble...

Also, putting in the bearings takes away some up and down movement the gear has on the shaft, you do not need to drill the holes deeper at all.  At the bottom side of each driver gear where the shaft goes through, you will notice a ledge (it's about .25mm) just use a hand file or some sand paper on a flat surface and sand that ledge off and you will get that up and down movement back...  cool

I had a bent shaft and the gear would wobble, very unstable like that...

I spent What?

I run Yokomo bearings in mine... never had an issue, check if your blades are placed correctly.... Just a quick question , if you put the bushes back what happens ?

I must agree with Nitronaught - I had to do the same with my Yokomo bearings as they are slightly deeper by.3mm and I find that my Drone is actually flying better... Just a bit more nimble - could be my mind though but itflys like a dream.... Stable as anything.   Not quite shire why the bearing will give you a bad performing drone.... ??   I would go through it all again and make shure that you've put it together correctly.  I used cheap china bearing before and found they cause a jelly vibration on the footage....  Went Yokomo and it all sorted

I am thinking of going to bearings instead of bushings. One question I have is relative to the comment of aligning the blades or putting them back in the same order.  I have replaced the blades and shafts a number of times on my drone and never had a problem with worrying about order or alignment.  Can someone clarify, I do not want to replace bushing and install components incorrectly.

tufaniod wrote:

I am thinking of going to bearings instead of bushings. One question I have is relative to the comment of aligning the blades or putting them back in the same order.  I have replaced the blades and shafts a number of times on my drone and never had a problem with worrying about order or alignment.  Can someone clarify, I do not want to replace bushing and install components incorrectly.

On the underside of the prop there is a letter close to the center shaft (you need good lighting to see it).  The props should be mounted like this:

-- drone front --

C.............A
..\.........../
....\......./
..../........\
../............\
A...............C

-- drone back --

If you haven't purchased your bearings yet, take a look at the ones I offer on my site.  They're quality bearings at a great price.

Thanks, you are right, very hard to see.  Are you aware of a repair manual for the v2 has sis written to this level of detail?

tufaniod wrote:

Thanks, you are right, very hard to see.  Are you aware of a repair manual for the v2 has sis written to this level of detail?

I have to use a large spotlight just to see the letters.  I'm not aware of it being in a manual, but here's a link to a Parrot video that references it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNAXd1C … embedded#!