Topic: How can I disable A2DP / Bluetooth streaming

We have 2 MKi9200s in our family cars and each use iPhones when driving.

Each car also has an iPod connected via the dock connector and so we don't want any Bluetooth streaming from the phones because this cuts out the radio when we use TomTom or receive text messages, emails etc

How can we disable the A2DP Bluetooth audio streaming whilst leaving the Bluetooth Handsfree functional?

Thanks

Re: How can I disable A2DP / Bluetooth streaming

Hi Brummygit,

When an iPhone is paired to the Parrot MKi9200, the iPhone then pushes all mail, text and alert tones through the MKi9200, the only way to resolve this would be to set the iPhone to silent.

Incoming calls will still ring through the Parrot MKi9200.

Thank you.

Parrot Advisor UK 3
Parrot UK & Ireland
E mail: http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/hotline/

Thanks for replying, however I do want my sounds from the phones to be heard (eg SatNav instructions) but not via Bluetooth. I see three possible solutions:

1. Request that Apple modify iOS to allow selection of which bluetooth profiles are used for each connection - I have done this but whilst I know others also want it, and some other smart phones already support it, I don't hold out much hope
2. Jailbreak my iPhone and use an app to disable A2DP for the Parrot pairing - no jailbreak is available for my iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1 plus it will invalidate my warranty
3. Request that Parrot make it a configuration option which Bluetooth profiles are invoked for each pairing or on a global level

So it seems that option 3 is my best hope. PLEASE Parrot, consider this option for your software.

Thanks

I understand that the iPhone forwards all sounds through a2dp when connected, i think the issue is that the mki9100 and probably the 9200 automatically stop what they were doing to switch to Bluetooth audio to play the sounds regardless of what source is selected on the parrot.

I would suggest that a menu option is added to enable / disable auto a2dp selection. Setting the iPhone to silent is an option but should not be necessary. I have had other Bluetooth kits with similar specifications that do not auto switch to a2dp on playing of sounds and this was perfect.

Both ways of streaming A2DP have good / bad points. At least on the Parrot the A2DP connection is automatic, which means you can stream straight away without going into menus. As we don't all use iPhones, we see this as a "positive".
On Android Bluetooth connection you can select whether you want to phone to use the A2DP connecion or not (simple tick box) - maybe IOS could get around to implementing this at some stage. Then we'd all be happy

http://www.justcarkits.co.uk
Certified Parrot Installer
Tel No 01753-673500  International 44 1753 673500
My e-mail address

I understand fully - parrot (and most manufacturers for that matter) are in a difficult position trying to support the functionality on all phone brands. I am a design engineer myself and have these sort of decisions to make every day. This is why I suggest the option to deselect automatic switching to a2dp so that a user can configure the kit to work in the best way with their particular hardware. Especially when the kit is described as compatible with all these products and the iphone / android customers probably cover the majority of parrot users in this day and age.