1

Topic: Battery drain after installation

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonota that Fry's installed and they cannot figure out why my car battery is dead after 16 hours of sitting in the garage. I have searched the forums and have found nothing definitive on what to do. I have another appt at Fry's to see if they can correct this issue. Can anyone help?

I have software version 2.1.1, the unit does not say good bye when I turn the key off,  ,y alternator is working and the battery is good except for the constant drain.

Help, anyone.

2

Re: Battery drain after installation

Hello jass411,

If the unit does not say Goodbye when you turn the key off, please check again your installation, and more specially the 12V permanent & 12V key.
Be careful as, on some cars, those cables need to be inverted.

If you still don't have "Goodbye" when you turn the key off, please contact one of the certified installer from our network
http://www.parrot.com/usa/cip

Regards,

Parrot Team Benjamin

3

Re: Battery drain after installation

@jass411,

As Parrot Benjamin states, if you are not getting the "Goodbye" message when you turn your key off, the 12+ volt constant and 12+ volt switched wires are not properly installed.  Basically the installer at Fry's did not follow the installation instructions with the unit and likely just plugged it in with an ISO adapter harness for your Sonata.  The PAS comes setup with a standard ISO connector which makes install into a lot of European cars very easy (VW, Audi, Seat, etc). 
The PAS wiring harness includes a set of inline connectors on the 12+ volt constant and 12+ volt switched wires (Red and Yellow I think).  These are between the head unit and the brown ISO connector.  There is no cutting of wires necessary.  The installer simply needs to switch the red wire to the yellow wire and the yellow wire to the red wire (using the round bullet connectors which are part of the wiring and intended expressly for this purpose).  The installer should then confirm the "Goodbye" message is displayed when the key is turned to the off position. (Shame on the installer for not performing this check in the first place).
I have installed several PAS head units and have had to switch the wires on all.  I am a little surprised your battery is going flat so quickly as the PAS doesn’t draw that much power.  Do you have separate amps in your installation?  If so, they are likely staying on along with the PAS after KO.

4

Re: Battery drain after installation

Yes, the 2009 Sonota v6 limited has an amp system. I am hoping that the change in the wiring will address the battery drain from the amp.

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to Fry's in a couple of hours to get this resolved.

5

Re: Battery drain after installation

yea if your not seeing goodbye then your unit is not going to sleep which would drain teh battery.

smile

6

Re: Battery drain after installation

After listening to the installer say everything is correct even after talking to Parrot support, I said again, the unit needs to say good bye. He agreed to check the accessory wire to assure it shut off when the key was turned off and what do you know. Yes sir the yellow and red wires did need to be switched. He was stunned that a lay person could be correct.

No more jumping my car daily wink. Thanks for your assistance everyone. Now to start putting things on the Smart that I want that is not in the Asteroid market.

7

Re: Battery drain after installation

People mostly only care about how to install proper sink drain plumbing system but not how to maintain it. Maintaining the sink drain in good condition is essential to ensure that your plumbing works properly, and also prevent mildew growth, unpleasant odors, and clogging.
Tom Plumb

8

Re: Battery drain after installation

The view is breathtaking and you want the home, but a prudent inspection of the plumbing system can affect how much you want it or how much you should be willing to offer for purchase. In addition to the normal checks needed to explore the condition of the plumbing system, the salt water and humidity that comes in tandem with beachfront property introduces a whole new set of possible problems.
Tom Plumb

9

Re: Battery drain after installation

When installing a new sink in one's home there will definitely be a need for sink plumbing supplies. Sinks plumbing is a far easier endeavor if the sink installer has all of the sink plumbing supplies that he or she requires before beginning the sinks plumbing project. Finding sinks plumbing supplies on the Internet can save the homeowner considerable funds, and can make the sink plumbing endeavor a bit more affordable too.
Tom Plumb

10

Re: Battery drain after installation

So I'm also having a battery drain issue with my 2005 Chevy Colorado.  The difference here, though, is that the radio does say "Goodbye" when I switch off the key and open the drivers door. 

What's weird, though, is that the power button light goes off and then comes back on a few minutes later.  Any idea what could be causing the power button to illuminate after the car is turned off?

11

Re: Battery drain after installation

LiquidBreadman wrote:

So I'm also having a battery drain issue with my 2005 Chevy Colorado.  The difference here, though, is that the radio does say "Goodbye" when I switch off the key and open the drivers door. 

What's weird, though, is that the power button light goes off and then comes back on a few minutes later.  Any idea what could be causing the power button to illuminate after the car is turned off?

If you are receiving the Goodbye message that means that the stereo is getting the "vehicle off" signal. It will stay powered on for a few minutes after the Goodbye message in case you start the car back up right away it doesn't have to reboot. However after those minutes the power light should go off and the stereo then should be officially shut down.

The stereo does have a "vibration" sensor embedded in the system so any movements in the vehicle may potentially cause the stereo to turn back on. It was a feature designed to speed up boot times by allowing the stereo to boot up while you're settling in to your vehicle.

I would go back and double check the two power wires and ensure they have a solid connection and wired correctly. I'm thinking if there's any kind of arch going on in those wires it could be shooting a false positive signal to turn the stereo on. There's also the possibility of a deffective unit if the system is unexpectedly powering on on its own and everything is wired correctly.

If you want you can also try pulling the power button removable panel off for a day and let the car sit and see if when you come back and pop the panel back on if the car is still draining out. Not a permanent solution but maybe you can pin point the issue by testing it this way.

Wish I had a more solid answer though best of luck.

12

Re: Battery drain after installation

mattverg wrote:

If you want you can also try pulling the power button removable panel off for a day and let the car sit and see if when you come back and pop the panel back on if the car is still draining out. Not a permanent solution but maybe you can pin point the issue by testing it this way.

Thanks for the response.  I'm actually pulling the power panel every time I park the car now and that does stop the battery from draining.  It's just kind of annoying to have to do that and pop it back on when I start again.

The unit is rooted with AsteroidTweaker and Tasker running.  I think I'm going to start uninstalling the aftermarket stuff and see if any of that makes a difference.

13

Re: Battery drain after installation

keypad is out of wack.  Entering passwords it goes in another direction or ignores the button entirely.
any ideas?
I have a message into Parrot.  Still waiting.

14

Re: Battery drain after installation

LiquidBreadman wrote:
mattverg wrote:

If you want you can also try pulling the power button removable panel off for a day and let the car sit and see if when you come back and pop the panel back on if the car is still draining out. Not a permanent solution but maybe you can pin point the issue by testing it this way.

Thanks for the response.  I'm actually pulling the power panel every time I park the car now and that does stop the battery from draining.  It's just kind of annoying to have to do that and pop it back on when I start again.

The unit is rooted with AsteroidTweaker and Tasker running.  I think I'm going to start uninstalling the aftermarket stuff and see if any of that makes a difference.

So, here's the latest chapter in this story.  I wiped out all my not factory apps and removed root.  Then I timed it, and the power button lights up 10 minutes after I turn off the car.  That seems like an odd coincidence sens that's also the length of time before the radio is supposed to switch from standby to sleep mode.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the radio is actually sort of waking up after 15 minutes instead of going to sleep.

15 (edited by donaldta 04-12-2013 09:15:30)

Re: Battery drain after installation

LiquidBreadman wrote:

So, here's the latest chapter in this story.  I wiped out all my not factory apps and removed root.  Then I timed it, and the power button lights up 10 minutes after I turn off the car.  That seems like an odd coincidence sens that's also the length of time before the radio is supposed to switch from standby to sleep mode.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the radio is actually sort of waking up after 15 minutes instead of going to sleep.

There is no "sleep mode" on the Asteroid Smart.  After the 10 minutes of the screen is off, the Android operating system is scheduled to go through the shutdown process.  Even after the operating system has been shutdown, the board still uses a small amount of power for the tilt sensor so that it can power up the rest of the unit as necessary.

16

Re: Battery drain after installation

donaldta wrote:

There is no "sleep mode" on the Asteroid Smart.  After the 10 minutes of the screen is off, the Android operating system is scheduled to go through the shutdown process.  Even after the operating system has been shutdown, the board still uses a small amount of power for the tilt sensor so that it can power up the rest of the unit as necessary.

If it's shutting down, then why would the power button light up?  Does it do this for anyone else or should I get the unit replaced?

17

Re: Battery drain after installation

LiquidBreadman wrote:

If it's shutting down, then why would the power button light up?  Does it do this for anyone else or should I get the unit replaced?

Maybe its an (un)intentional design of how the led is triggered?  Not sure.  Are you using any Tasker or scheduling apps that might activate something just before the shutdown process?

I just checked with my Smart Asteroid.  It is running 2.1.5 and I can tell you that while the screen is off that all the USB devices remain powered on.  I waited the ten minutes and the Asteroid's power light did not power on.  However, all the connected USB devices powered off.  I tapped the Asteroid unit a few minutes after the connected USB devices powered off and the Asteroid's power led turned on for about two seconds and turned off.  However, about 4 seconds later the USB devices powered while the lcd screen and led remained off.  Then about a minute and a half later the USB devices powered off again.

18

Re: Battery drain after installation

I have to apologize here...  looks like I've gotten you involved in the same thread on 2 different forums.

At this point I'm going to call Crutchfield and ask for a replacement.  Serious amounts of thanks from me though.  You've been very helpful.

19

Re: Battery drain after installation

Hi,
I think You should show your car to the Hyundai dealers maybe they can help you to fix it or you should show your car to the Hyundai service center they will definitely solve your problem.

.....................................

Hyundai dealerships in Oklahoma

20

Re: Battery drain after installation

LiquidBreadman wrote:
donaldta wrote:

There is no "sleep mode" on the Asteroid Smart.  After the 10 minutes of the screen is off, the Android operating system is scheduled to go through the shutdown process.  Even after the operating system has been shutdown, the board still uses a small amount of power for the tilt sensor so that it can power up the rest of the unit as necessary.

If it's shutting down, then why would the power button light up?  Does it do this for anyone else or should I get the unit replaced?

The light will remain on as long as the ACC-power (ignition) is present. So, i yours is on all the time then there is a wiring issue.